Summer Isn't Summer Unless...

Summer Isn't Summer Unless...

You take a little vacation from life

3993
Summer Isn't Summer Unless...
Cuba Gallery

June, July, and August. Those bittersweet three months of freedom away from school when we don't have to worry about exams or six page essays. Everyone should look forward to summer. It's a time where we can take a break from reality and not have to worry about our future or college and just live in the moments from sunrise to sunset having the time of our life. Some people go on three month vacations to tropical islands or fly away to another state to spend time with family they haven't seen all year. Some get a summer job and earn cash while some just sit at home and binge watch Netflix with a buffet of snacks beside them. Either way, summer is a time to rest, relax and re-focus. I always try to do something new every summer to keep things interesting, however I usually end up staying where I live because in my opinion, you haven't done summer until you summer in Florida.

Whenever late May is approaching and I'm finishing up finals week at school, I'm always thinking about the exciting possibilities that this summer could bring. I usually make a bucket list of everything I want to do and I try really hard to stick to that list and even add more on to it as summer progresses. These things usually involve getting a tan, doing as many water-related activities as I possibly can, and spending quality time with my friends and family. As a college student, I know how hectic our lives can get. This is why I stress the importance of summer. We need a break from the constant running around and trying to do 10 million things at once all while trying to juggle a part-time job and get a degree. Trust me, your body and your mind will thank you later after you give it a little T.L.C. and soak up some sun. Come mid-August, you'll be ready to start the new school year refreshed and ready to get back to work.

What I'm trying to say is, summer isn't summer unless you make an effort to have fun and enjoy yourself. Let loose a little bit and try something out of your comfort zone! Go zip lining over an alligator park or go on the tallest roller coaster you can find. Go play a simple game of miniature golf with some friends or go walk along the beach at midnight. Play volleyball on the beach or go adventuring around town looking for Pokemon.

Sorry, I had to.

No, but seriously. Yes, you can work a summer job or visit a new college campus or intern at a local business and do all sorts of productive stuff. Go for it. But make sure you make time to have some fun and let yourself let go of some of that stress that is no doubt built up from the past year of school. You won't regret it.

So stay at the beach all day to the point where you get so sunburned that you're peeling for days after. Go to the pool for night swimming every night. Go out to new restaurants and eat more than you should. This is your little vacation from life. Make it worthwhile. Summer isn't summer unless you go into the new school year with buckets of memories, good, bad, and embarrassing. If you've been working 24/7 like I have all summer, there is a still chance to get in some summertime fun before it's over. So go have a spa day, go to Disney World, go kayaking, go on an ice-cream run with your bestie. Just do something that makes you smile and love life. For me, that something is riding the waves in the ocean or just sitting out by the shore with my loved ones. Whatever it is for you, go do it.

Summer isn't summer unless at the end of it, you can honestly say "This summer was lit!"

...and then you can't wait for next summer.