Summer Intern Wardrobe Essentials

Summer Intern Wardrobe Essentials

Six staples for every intern's closet.

540
Summer Intern Wardrobe Essentials

With the summer only a month away the internship pressure is in full force. Getting an internship isn’t easy, and even after you officially accept one the internship process still isn’t over. You’ll have a million questions running through your head. Where will I live? How will I get to work? How much money am I going to make? What are my hours? What am I going to wear? Although I can’t answer all those questions for you, I can answer one…”What am I going to wear?”

This summer I am interning in New York City in the corporate offices of a retail company. Considering I am working in the fashion industry my summer intern wardrobe is always on my mind. The difficulty of dressing business appropriate for a summer internship is the fact that it is in the SUMMER. Summers are hot, like really, really hot (especially if you're running around the city and taking public transportation to work). Based on the fact that it can get up to 100 degrees on somedays the last thing you want is to be sweating through your suit on your way to work.

Dressing for an internship is pretty easy as long as you have the staples. Most corporate offices have a similar dress code, so it's safe to say that most of these staples will work in your internship environment. A few basic rules for office apparel; always make sure you avoid jeans, clothing that’s too short or revealing, or anything that looks like it was just pulled out from the bottom of your dirty laundry hamper. Also make sure all your clothes are well fitted. Nothing looks more unprofessional than clothing thats either sagging off of you or tight enough that your muscles are showing through. With that said here are six wardrobe staples (for guys and girls) necessary for your internship summer wardrobe.

Girls

For girls, the main key to surviving the summer season in office appropriate attire is layers! Layering is going to be your best friend this summer. Wearing sleeveless clothing is okay for your commute to work, just make sure you throw on something to cover your shoulders when you get to the office. Keep your staples down to a neutral color palate. Neutrals are classic and timeless, allowing you to wear them for years, as well as are easy to mix and match with any outfit.

1. Blazer

A blazer is an obvious necessity. You can throw it on top of a sleeveless blouse once you escape the summer heat. It is a quick and easy way to make any outfit appropriate for meetings, presentations or any other formal work event.

2. Pencil skirt

It is important to have bottoms you can pair with a blazer to create a full suit. Usually I would suggest a pair of dress pants, but in the summer I recommend a pencil skirt. It will allow your legs to breath a bit while still keeping your outfit formal.

3. Flats

The thought of strutting around your office in a pair of stilettos, towering over all the short men, looking like a boss seems extremely appealing. However heels are just not practical. It is good to have a pair on hand for formal events, but flats are the way to go for an internship. Make sure they’re comfortable so you’re feet don’t start to bleed after a few days of coffee runs.

4. Shift Dress

Dresses are the most common day-to-day outfit for girls in the intern world. Shift dresses are ideal because they are loose, which makes them much more appropriate than a tight bodycon. The fabrics are usually lightweight allowing you to stay cool in the summer heat.

5. Cardigan

Cardigans are the perfect add-on to any summer intern outfit. Similar to the blazer, they are a great layering piece over sleeveless tops so you can cover your shoulders during the day, and take it off for your commute home. Cardigans are perfect for casual outfits and are light enough that you won’t be sweating at work in the summer time.

6. Tote Bag

Us girls can’t deny it; we carry a lot of crap with us. Most interns work 9-5 jobs, which requires us ladies to carry everything we own with us throughout the day (makeup, snacks, water, lotion, cell phone, wallet, sunglasses). This makes a tote bag, or any large purse, essential for an internship. It’s lightweight, easy to carry and can fit all your crap in it.

Guys

Although I am not a guy and have never worn any of these items before, I feel as though I am a credible source considering just yesterday my 23-year-old brother Facetimed me asking what tie matches his light purple shirt and charcoal suit. Here is some general advice for you guys when matching colors; keep cool tones with cool tones and warm tones with warm tones. Black shoes go with grays, blues and purples, while brown shoes go with shades of tan, pinks, reds, or yellow. Similar to the girls staples, I recommend keeping the essentials in neutral colors, making it easy to match your clothes together.

1. A Suit

Every guy above the age of 20 should own their own suit. They just should. I suggest a darker neutral; navy, black, charcoal. They are the easiest to match with other pieces in your wardrobe and versatile for multiple occasions.

2. Leather Shoes

Dress shoes are important to have for an internship. Unfortunately sneakers aren’t appropriate. I suggest leather because they tend to be pretty comfortable (so I’ve heard from my dad and brother) and are also easy to clean compared to shoes in a suede or cloth-like fabric.

3. Button-up Shirt

Owning just one button-up shirt isn’t going to cut it. I suggest having at least five, one for each day of the week. If your office allows it, incorporate some short sleeved collared dress shirts into your wardrobe. Long sleeves can get pretty hot in the summer and rolling them up can create wrinkles.

4. Belt

Having your underwear hanging out of your pants is never attractive or appropriate for the office. Wear a belt everyday. No one likes saggy pants.

5. Khakis

Khakis go with almost anything. Any color shirt, tie, shoes…you can’t ever go wrong with khakis. They are so easy to dress up or down which makes them perfect to wear out for post-work drinks after a long day in the office.

6. Backpack

This item is mostly essential for guys interning in a city. Nothing is more annoying than walking around the city and riding on the subway with a briefcase in your hand. A backpack allows you to travel hands free and gives you plenty of room to pack gym shorts for a post internship workout.