How To Have A Summer Glow-up With Drug Store Products

How To Have A Summer Glow Up With Drug Store Products

Out smart designer packaging, and start making crazy good skin moves.

46
Sarah Stevens

It's a misconception that you have to pay for a killer celebrity dermatologist or plastic surgeon to take care of your skin. Here are a few products you can get at the drug store to start transforming your summer look, now.

Hyaluronic Acid

Sarah Stevens

Hyaluronic Acid sounds like a scary thing to put on your skin, but it's actually a naturally occurring compound in our bodies and locks in moisture. Hyaluronic acid serum on it's own can be a moisturizer for someone with oily skin. However, more than a moisturizer, it's actually a drug store's best-kept secret. Juvaderm, and other cosmetic filler is made from hyaluronic acid. The same product that people literally pay thousands for to get rid of under eye bags, or any type of wrinkle is available to you at any time, is safe, in a ton of Neutrogena products, and starts at around $6. Although using hyaluronic acid topically is not the same as getting it injected, that's probably a good thing. There's no chance of getting botched, and with no needles involved. But your skin will thank you, regardless.

Avoid products with alcohol.

One of the biggest beauty hacks is to avoid products that have alcohol. Alcohol in beauty products is like the sugar of foods. You wouldn't believe how many products actually use a ton. It dries out your skin, but not in a healthy way. It ages your skin as it dries it. Finding sunscreen without it is even a challenge, but it is possible. A sad truth is that drinking alcohol ages your skin as well. Regardless of whether you drink or don't, stay hydrated!!

Retinol

Sarah Stevens

I don't know a ton about retinol, but just that it is anti-aging. Recently I picked up a rose mist with retinol, and it has no alcohol! I spray my face and body with it as an alternative to perfume, which is basically just scented alcohol.

Calamine Lotion

One of the key ingredients in Mario Badescu drying lotion is calamine. Although I think the drying lotion is a great product, the first ingredient is alcohol and isn't necessary. Calamine is sold in drug stores on its own and is marketed as a poison ivy treatment, but makes for an easy face mask. It's not in a pretty package, but it's better for your skin and you can put it in one if you want. It is great for oily skin and will pull the oil out while not overdrying it or making it flaky.

Lip Plumping

Sarah Stevens

Save a few hundred on lip injections and find out if you like the look first, or avoid them altogether with lip plumping gloss. Hard candy has some, as well as their clear "Max Pout", but Elf makes some pretty colors like this mocha twist which is my go-to. It is a pinky nude that doesn't distract, finishes with a gloss, and makes your lips a little bit bigger.

Tan!

Sarah Stevens

It wouldn't be a summer glow up without a good tan. One of the best on the drug store market is this foam from Jergens. It's a lot like LovingTan and Bondi Sands foam. I use this shade once a week for a few hours and people always ask me if I went somewhere on vacation. There's also a lighter option if you just want to look like you spent some time outside but not necessarily on a tropical island. Exfoliate, use a mitt, and wear clothes you don't care about as it dries.