22 Things To Do This Summer In Pittsburgh

Your guide to adventures in the city.

1917
Greater Pittsburgh Convention & Visitors Bureau

With classes coming to a close and college students from all over returning home to Pittsburgh comes the question of how to fill time until August rolls around and we pack our bags again. Sometimes, familiarity breeds contempt. After a school year spent with friends studying, going to parties, attending sporting events and exploring the area around campus, returning home can feel pretty boring. I mean, how many times can someone go to the mall or grab dinner before they’re tired of doing the same old things all the time. It’s like high school all over again.

With some research, I put together a summer bucket list for Pittsburgh that shows that there's more to do around town than you’d think:

1. Visit Mattress Factory Museum

Check out this contemporary art museum downtown! It's a great place to spend a rainy day and they offer half-off admission every Tuesday!

2. Attend a country concert

KeyBank Pavillion has a ton of country concerts this summer with lawn seats for around $20.

3. Attend a Pirates game

Nothing screams summer like a beautiful night at PNC Park.

4. Watch a fireworks show downtown

The Pittsburgh 4th of July fireworks display is the best one in the city...hands down.

5. Spend a day at Carnegie Science Center

No matter how old you are, the Carnegie Science Center can be a fun place to spend the day. Highmark SportsWorks has a ton of interactive exhibits as well! College students get $2 off admission with a valid student ID.

6. Get a milkshake from Milkshake Factory

With locations in both the South Side and Downtown Pittsburgh, the Milkshake Factory offers over 55 different flavors of milkshakes to cool you off on a hot summer day.

7. Spend a day shopping in the Strip District

With tons of local merchants and reasonable prices, the Strip District is a great place to embrace the culture of Pittsburgh.

8. Take the incline to Mt. Washington

The Duquesne Incline will take you straight up to Mt. Washington where you can enjoy the view and take tons of pictures.

9. Visit Mt. Washington Overlook at night

There is something about Mt. Washington at night and the view of the city that makes it somehow even more breathtaking than during the day.

10. Enjoy the sunshine at Point State Park

A beautiful (and free) way to spend a warm day.

11. Spend a day at the Pittsburgh Zoo

Chill with the polar bears for the day! Buy your tickets at Giant Eagle and receive $2 off.

12. Color Vibe 5k

Get soaked with paint as you run a 5k followed by a dance party on May 20th at the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills!

13. Night Nation Run

The Night Nation Run is coming to Pittsburgh on July 22nd at Stage AE for a 5k and music festival!

14. Yoga in the Square

Starting May 28th, all yogis (and yogi wannabes) are invited to a free yoga practice in Market Square on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m.

15. Attend the Three Rivers Arts Festival

This year's festival runs June 2-11. Check out some of the free art and music events throughout the city.

16. Stop by the Three Rivers Regatta

Enjoy some good music, food and boat racing at Point State Park from August 4-6.

17. Spend a day at Kennywood

Kennywood is a Pittsburgh staple and a great place to enjoy a summer day!

18. Ride the Gateway Clipper

College students can get half off on sightseeing tours Monday through Friday with a valid student ID!

19. Visit the Water Steps and Canal Square

North Shore Riverfront Park is one of those places you check out for the sake of pictures and just enjoying the sun. It's pretty and free!

20. Kayak the Three Rivers

If you're up for an adventure, kayaking is for you! If you can't swim, biking is always a great option.

21. Get a sandwich at Primanti Bros.

There are several locations around the city and surrounding area, but the original location in the Strip District is the place to go for the authentic experience.

22. Ride the natural waterslide at Ohiopyle State Park

This isn't quite Pittsburgh, but close enough that it could be a great day trip! Who needs Sandcastle when you have natural waterslides for free?