10 Ways to make your summer a little more productive

10 Ways To Make Your Summer A Little More Productive

Make This Summer Count!

8

Summer vacation is a blissful period and a much needed break from college, school or work. Relaxing is all well and good, however, three months of Netflix can becomes a tad tedious. If like me you find that summer seems to drag on just a little too long, try some of these suggestions to avoid boredom and make this summer one that is both memorable and rewarding!

1. Take some time to relax and rejuvenate.

Responsibilities during the academic year can be taxing. Over the course of two semesters, the constant pressure and fast-paced lifestyle can take its toll. Oftentimes - especially during those final few weeks of exams - it can be hard to find time to just simply relax. A great way to kick of summer is to take some necessary you time in order to unwind, whether that means binge watching Netflix, hanging out with friends or practicing your favorite sport!

2. Use this opportunity to enjoy reading.

If you're anything like me, reading for personal enjoyment during the academic months is something that tends to be avoided. By the time I have conquered the reading list set by professors, I rarely have the time or will to then read a book simply for the sake of reading. Summer is the perfect time to finally get lost in that book you've been wanting to devour forever by reading what you want, when you want, without the worry of endless note taking or being tasked with remembering intricate details.

3. Learn a new skill.

Three months is a considerably lengthy amount of time. Certainly enough time to learn a new skill. Whether you have been putting off learning to drive, perfecting your culinary skills or any number of other things (learning a language, how to sew, etc.), summer is an opportune time to broaden your horizons through expanding your repertoire.

4. Make a difference by volunteering.

cdn.pixabay.com

Volunteering can be a great way to engage in something meaningful during your summer vacation. There are thousands of non-profits and community organizations across the nation (and internationally) that desperately need assistance and volunteers to continue providing their much needed services to those in need. There is something for everyone: working in an animal shelter, assisting in a home for the elderly, coaching sport for underprivileged kids or even assisting alongside local politicians. Volunteering is a great way to give back whilst also bettering yourself through gaining an understanding of problems faced in today's world. You never know, you may very well find something you grow to be extremely passionate about!

5. Experience new sights and experiences through travel.

Traveling Lauren Conrad GIF by The Hills - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Summer is one of those times during the year when social media is brimming with the tales of travels. After all, when else in life do you get the opportunity that college provides of having three months every year with virtually no responsibilities? Travel does not require boarding an airplane, and while there is no doubt that foreign holidays are exciting, exploring your local surroundings can be just as amazing as going abroad. An excellent way to make the most out of break is to compile a list of must visit locations and cross them off as you go.

6. Learn something new through an online course.

Summer provides a much needed break from study, but for some, the absence of classes and regular intake of new knowledge can prove to be rather dull. A solution to this is taking an online course; the bonus being that unlike with college programs, you can normally choose what you wish to study and work through the material at your own pace. Free choices include sites such as Coursera, EdX and Open University's Open Learn. Returning back to college with a breadth of newfound wisdom is sure to impress your peers!

7. Consider trying out a new hobby.

images.pexels.com

Hobbies are one of those things that can prove quite time consuming. Trying out new hobbies doesn't always guarantee finding something worthwhile, and because of this, investing time into potential new activities during the academic year often isn't a student's top priority. Summer vacation provides a prime opportunity to explore some new activities you think you may enjoy. And who knows, you may just discover a hidden talent whilst you're at it!

8. Use this time to finally achieve your fitness goals.

Remember that New Year resolution to run a 5K or take up hiking? The demand of academia can often get in the way of reaching these goals, it is all to easy to fail to make time for exercise when you are juggling a mountain-high stack of assignments, papers due and quizzes to study for. In summer, these demands fabulously disappear for a short time and with that, there is much more availability in your day to reach those goals you've been aiming for. A great way to stay motivated and track progress is through keeping a fitness log or journal. You've got this!

9. Gain valuable experience through an internship.

Most college programs across the nation stress the importance of internships and their impact on improving your marketability when seeking employment after graduation. Some colleges even require completion of an internship before they allow students to graduate. Summer is a brilliant time to think about interning because you don't need to balance academics with your interning commitments. There are usually a range of offerings (both paid and otherwise) covering the majority of employment sectors available in today's market, in-state, out-of-state, and even internationally!

10. Or alternatively, get a summer job.

cdn.pixabay.com

A summer job is a great way to gain paid work experience during a period that is typically less demanding in other areas of your life like school and athletics. There are often great seasonal job listings for students over the summer months ranging from anything such as being a camp counselor, to tutoring, to working in the hospitality sector. No matter what you are interested in, there is guaranteed to be something for you. Not only is this great experience to put on your CV, it is also great way to avoid boredom and meet new people!

Hopefully this listicle has provided you with some inspiration as to how you can jam pack your summer with various activities in to have an unforgettable and worthwhile break this year!