Summer Break: The Advantages And Disadvantages

Is it worth it?
18653

Ah, summer break. Just those two words bring back fond memories of my family and I gardening out front, splashing around in our swimming pool, and taking trips to Disney World. I think that almost every student in the world longs for the end of the school year. After all, it’s a time to finally relax and sleep in after finals or exams. Yet the several weeks that make up summer break do come with some drawbacks.

I wonder, are the months without school really needed? Here’s a look at the advantages and disadvantages of having a summer break:

Advantages:

No Homework or Tests

This is probably the most obvious advantage of summer break. We don’t have any essays, short papers, quizzes, and or exams to worry about. There’s no studying, no deadlines, it’s just free time all the time.

Spending Time with Friends and Family

The week can get so busy during school that spending some down time with friends or family may not be possible. But during the fun weeks of summer break, you can finally get that chance to sit down and relax with the ones you care about.

A Perfect Opportunity to Go On Vacation

In addition to having free time to spend with family and friends, summer break also presents a great chance to go on a nice get-away vacation. As mentioned, when I was younger, the end of the school year was often celebrated with a trip to Disney World with my parents. Whether it be a day long or week long trip, it is always nice to experience a change of environment and have some fun.

Disadvantages:

Becoming Out of Practice

When you have several weeks off of school, you lose the learning rhythm you developed over the course of the school year. That includes waking up early or at a specific time, forgetting whatever you learned, the disruption of your studying practices, and the impeding of any organizational habits you established. When it comes time for summer break to end, it can be quite difficult to get back into your normal school routine and schedule.

For Some, Boredom

I remember when the first couple weeks of summer break were over, I kept on thinking: “OK...what now?” Having a few months off of school seemed like heaven at first, but then I found myself getting bored. I’ve heard the same from other as well. Sometimes you can have so much free, unproductive, time that you may not know what to do with yourself. Your friends may have their own plans for the summer, and you could have already caught up on everything you wanted to do...so...what now?

It’s always nice to have a break now and again. However, too long a break can result in the disruption of habits when getting back into a regular school routine. I think the best way to fix this, is to take part in a part time summer course that keeps you in a learning state of mind while still having enough time to relax throughout the day, or simply looking through your school notes or work now and again to refresh your memory. This could help the transition back into school a little less tedious. Have a great summer break, everyone!