Summer 2018: Coming to Realization that You Made It to Senior Year

Reflecting on an opportunity to move forward and gain confidencce while making sure to take care of myself

49
Christopher Swires

My junior year of college was undoubtedly the most memorable year for me. From working a steady job for the first time while taking college courses or getting my drivers license and turning 21, I will say that I am definitely not disappointed in the outcome; however, I felt that I could have done better in many ways, specifically with managing my time and mood. I am honestly surprised that I got out of dead week and finals week with even an ounce of energy to pack up my whole dorm. I don't know how I was able to make two trips from the dorm building to my storage unit in the pouring rain (with a full cart that easily could have exceeded 100lb), but overall I came to a realization. It was the true realization that I made it.I made it to my senior year of college. I made it through all of my major downfalls and I made it through my anticipated senioritis.

Before I am officially a senior in college, I definitely need to use the summer to rejuvenate. I have heard from multiple people that junior year is the hardest year of college. From my experience, I would say that it was definitely more busy and fast paced than my freshman or sophomore years. It was very difficult at times, but wouldn't I say it was bad or hard. Overall, it was a great year. I definitely struggled during the spring semester of my junior year, specifically with classes and changes that led to a lot of negative moods and mood swings, but as I always say - it was an opportunity for me to learn that there is definitely failure in life. It also allowed me to relate to those who have depression and who have struggled in classes to the point where they weren't sure if they wanted to stay in the same major.

Summer 2018 will be a lot like my summer last year. For the most part, I will use it to take time to myself and relax and do normal things to alleviate stress and anxiety, such as exploring the wilderness and relaxing in my large backyard while feeling the summer sun and breeze. This year, I plan to take a class so that I can still be productive. Last summer, I took a summer class online. This summer I am flying back to my college town for an art class in July to get an early start for the fall semester so that I have time to adapt. During spring semester, I had to fly back to campus without any free time. I was immediately getting back to work and class. My schedule and the snow days were a big contributor to my mood changes.

What I recommend for any college student during the summer is to be somewhat productive, but not to work as hard as you would during the school year. If you have to get a summer job, then get one; however, do not simultaneously take hard classes, unless time is tight or you want to be productive for a month. My recommendation is to sign up for a general education course (such as an English or Social Science course, preferably online), and perhaps get an easy job such as dog sitting for a couple of weeks. I will tell you from experience that doing an online class and dog sitting was the right amount of productivity and relaxation for me.

Use the summer after a long year to be helpful and productive, but do not work harder than you have to. After all, a lot of you all (including myself), will be graduating seniors next year, which likely means no more long summer breaks. Volunteer, take a class, relax, get a part time job if you want extra money, but make sure that you leave plenty of free time so that you are ready for the next semester.