18 Summer Books For Every Kind Of Reader

From "Gone Girl" like mysteries, to a "To Kill a Mockingbird" sequel, to true stories.

10

As we all know, summer is the time for relaxation. And for many of us college students, it also means actually having time to read books beyond those by Shakespeare or about mathematical equations. However, the predicament lies in actually picking which pages to turn beside the pool or with your toes buried in the sand. With numerous novels being released weekly, many of which are reviewed or promoted by celebrities, there's only so much time to decide which are worth reading, and which can be put on the back burner. Not only that, but with choosing a new novel comes the question/anxiety of whether or not said chosen novel even falls in the realm of what you enjoy reading! With this guide, it's easy to choose a summer 2016 novel for every kind of reader!

To the page-turner obsessed reader who was a lover of books like "Gone Girl," "Girl on the Train," and "Unbecoming," check these out!

1. "Pretty Baby" by Mary Kubica.

In July, the author of "The Good Girl" returns with the tale of a woman who takes in a homeless teenager and her baby, only to realize her good deed may have been ill-advised.

2. "Skies of Ash" by Rachel Howzell Hall.

L.A. homicide detective Elouise Norton suspects a man of killing his wife and children in a house fire. But is her judgment clouded by her own failing marriage?

3. "The Cartel" by Don Winslow.

A DEA agent comes out of retirement to hunt down a ruthless Mexican murderer and drug cartel boss who has escaped from prison.

4. "The Truth and Other Lies" by Sascha Arango.

A bestselling author tries to hide two big secrets: he doesn't actually write his famous crime novels and his mistress is pregnant with his child.

5. For the 'Lifestyle' Reader.

You're a foodie, a fashionista, a stress reducer, a travel-enthusiast, etc. and love reading books about your interests! You've read "Skinny Bitch," "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up," and "The 4-Hour Work Week." Now, it's time to read these!

6. "Always Pack a Party Dress" by Amanda Brooks

The socialite and fashion maven combines reflections on the evolution of her style with advice for the would-be fashionista -- and, of course, there are photographs.

7. "Modern Romance" by Aziz Ansari.

Comedian Ansari and sociologist Klinenberg team for a humorous look about why dating seems to be so much more difficult in the contemporary era.

8. "The World on a Plate" by Mina Holland.

Any recipe book can tell you how to cook; this one offers a much deeper look at the history and anthropology behind some of the world's most iconic cuisines.

9. For the 'Fiction-Addicted' reader.

Wait for it... finally, there's a sequel to "To Kill A Mockingbird!" You've read all the "Harry Potter's" 50-times over, have turned the pages of the classics, have been in the midst of books like "The Reader" and "The Fault in Our Stars," and have (and don't want to admit it) followed the "Twilight" saga, but it's time to spring for something new.

10. "In the Unlikely Event" by Judy Blume.

Blume for adults! Set in the 1950's, Blume's novel follows residents of Elizabeth, NJ, whose town is wracked by three airplane crashes in a short space of time.

11. "Enchanted August" by Brenda Bowen.

A quartet of stressed-out New Yorkers spend a month on an island, but find it hard to leave their problems in the city.

12. "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee.

Rest in peace Harper Lee, and thank you for leaving us with the most anticipated American novel in years! This sequel features Scout and Atticus Finch in Maycomb, Alabama 20 years after the events in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

13. "Mayumi and the Sea of Happiness" by Jennifer Tseng.

A 41-year-old librarian on a New England island, stuck in an unhappy marriage, is drawn into a passionate affair with a high school boy.

14. For the nonfiction loving readers.

Get real with books on dreadlocks, surfing, drinking to obliteration, and undocumented immigrants making it to the Ivy League!

15. "Twisted" by Bert Ashe.

Part memoir of a professor's decision to grow dreadlocks, part meditation on the significance of African American hair in art and society.

16. "Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life" by William Finnegan

In July, "The New Yorker" staff writer reflects on his life as a surfing fanatic, from his youth in Hawaii to later stints riding the waves in Thailand, Indonesia and more.

17. "Blackout" by Sarah Hepola.

After too many mornings waking up with no memory of the night before, a young journalist makes the difficult decision to give up drinking for good.

18. "Undocumented" by Dan-el Padilla Peralta.

An undocumented immigrant tells his story of growing up homeless in New York and earning a Ph.D. in classics from Stanford University.

Overall, whether your niche is in the pages of a mysterious murder, a whirlwind romance, reading about the foods you love, or following the steps of a real life adventure, you're sure to escape reality and find the relaxing summer you've been waiting all year for!