The Real Problem With Harley Quinn In 'Suicide Squad'

It isn't what you think.

506
Screen Rant

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, chances are you’ve heard of "Suicide Squad."

Considered by many to be the hottest blockbuster of the summer, "Suicide Squad" has grossed more than $600 million worldwide since opening on August 5. In the months leading up to it's theatrical release, 'Suicide Squad' has been the subject of much scorn, speculation and public outcry.

At the center of this web of debate stands Harley Quinn. This is not the first time the character has come under fire. First introduced in the 90’s cartoon, Batman the Animated Series, Harley Quinn has become an icon in the batman mythos.

Her character arch began as the joker’s henchwoman, Harley Quinn was introduced as little more than another one of many mooks. Following fan’s outburst of love for the character, she returned to the joker’s side with a more serious role: his girlfriend.

Since the beginning, Harley has been problematic. Her relationship with the Joker, or “Mister J.” as she calls him, embodies domestic abuse. Even as a two dimensional cartoon, she was presented in a sexualized manner.

Nevertheless, fans embraced the character, celebrating her quirks and flaws alike. Harley Quinn has become a hugely popular character for cosplayers. Her merchandise can be found in abundance at Hot Topic. She received her own comic book series in 2013, and is expected to star in her own solo film, following the massive commercial success of 'Suicide Squad.'

For better or for worse, in the face of her tremendous popularity the problematic foundation Harley was built upon remained, and was often reinforced. Although some adaptations are more effective than others in their execution of her character, the problematic undertones of her character are often unavoidable.

Now that 'Suicide Squad' has commanded the public eye, however, these characteristics have raised more than a few eyebrows. Is she too sexualized? Does her relationship with the Joker romanticize domestic abuse?

These questions raise a number of important concerns about women in the Batman franchise, comic books and the entertainment industry as a whole. Domestic violence is often romanticized. Women are commonly objectified and depicted in less than empowering apparel. Rape is only too common in the media.

Nevertheless, these are not the harshest crimes ‘Suicide Squad’ commits against Harley Quinn’s character. Although she often serves as the Joker’s mentally unhealthy arm candy, Harley is bisexual.

Since her arrival in Batman the Animated Series, 25 years ago, writers have not strayed from the idea that the Joker’s female companion may not be straight. Throughout the course of her development in the Batman universe, Harley has been shown to maintain an undeniably close relationship with Poison Ivy, rife with innuendo, flirtation and undeniable emotional intimacy.

After decades of speculation, DC confirmed that the two women were romantically involved, via Twitter in 2015. Nevertheless, this aspect of Harley’s characterization was entirely neglected in 2016’s Suicide Squad.

Bi-erasure continues to be a rampant issue in the media. In the real world, sexual orientation exists on a spectrum, with a great deal of room for deviation. However, often in the media, characters are only given two choices: straight or gay.

Even otherwise progressive series, such as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Orange is The New Black," refer to bisexual characters as either straight or lesbians. The latter even went as far as to describe characters’ placement on the Kinsey Scale, while only using the word bisexual once throughout the course of the show.

"Suicide Squad" continues this legacy, by presenting Harley Quinn in an entirely heteronormative light. Although she takes advantage of her feminine wiles to get meet her end goal, Harley centers her efforts on men. With the exception of a nameless woman security guard, "Suicide Squad" is dominated by straight characters, neglecting the more ambiguous orientations present throughout the film’s source material.

From her costume choices to the inner workings of her personality, "Suicide Squad" is committed to respecting Harley Quinn’s 25-year legacy. The film celebrates the character’s past and present, while unflinchingly showcasing her mental instability and the abusive nature of her relationship with the Joker. Still, filmmakers felt compelled to eliminate the character’s orientation entirely.

You could argue that this aspect was left out due to the lack of relevance to the film's overall plot. Many of Harley's actions, and the film's narrative as a whole, are inspired by her mad love for Mister J. Yet, this seems like cheap opt out for a film that takes great strides to represent all aspects of the character, both positive and problematic.

For a movie that unapologetically adheres to its source material, the choice to erase yet another bisexual character from the public eye is no laughing matter.