The Disaster That Was 'Suicide Squad'

The Disaster That Was 'Suicide Squad'

I wish this movie had never come out.

60
The Disaster That Was 'Suicide Squad'
Forbes

Wow; but not in the good way. This movie is so bad. I can't explain how non-organized this movie seems. It's like all the soul and love was sucked out from post-production. The screenplay almost is vomit inducing. I can't believe I was so hyped about this movie for months. Now I just want to put it past me and forget about it. If you thought Batman vs. Superman turned me off to the DC cinematic universe, then this certainly put the final nail on that coffin.

So lets get into it. First I hate the fact that Rick Flag is supposed to be a leader driven character yet Deadshot always seems to overshadow him on screen. Flag has no serious qualms about his boss shooting innocent people because they didn't have the correct 'clearance.' And this brings me to a very important point of the movie which is the idea of really stretching your disbelief. For example how does Viola know and guarantee that Flag would end up falling in love with June Moone. Does she know the secrets of love?

The dialogue is horrible and just makes you want to squirm. My favorites to hate are, "Oh you don't want any beef, you don't want no beef," said by Joker to an intimidated underboss. It's so cheesy and so unlike Joker. But of course I must digress because of the fact that Leto is doing a new take on this character and all other iterations must be locked away and forgotten when watching this movie. It's just that this Joker is so disappointing. He is too over the top and gives the impression that he is just faking his mental instability. Although I do must admit that I still like the character's sense of style (especially that tux tho) and personal tweaks of his possessions.

The other characters are not fleshed out completely and when they do reveal more about them the importance gets lost because the audience has already been so overwhelmed by the movie and its attempt to show the audience a cohesive well put film. We don't care about Diablo's past and the reason behind his vow of peace because he had already broken it. We don't care about the soul of Katana's husband being in her sword because she barely had any worth or connection to the movie. We mostly see Harley and Deadshot flesh out their characters, which is not necessarily a bad thing but the movie does have 'squad' in its name so somehow they were supposed to give worth to all of these characters with the scenes being presented.

The villains were awful and I for one did not feel any sense of dread or conflict. The final battle was so awful. So much slo-mo and ridiculousness like the fact that Deadshot hesitated at least for a couple seconds of shooting the bomb that would defeat the Enchantress. Why did the director feel it was necessary to have a reminder of the characters daughter to encourage him at this crucial moment? Oh, and did Diablo and Scott Eastwood's character die?

And did anyone feel the overt racist/stereotypical undertones of Killer Croc and Diablo's wife? I just felt that was lazy scriptwriting apart from just the plot of the movie. Did the movie make you care about any character? If so then I'm all ears; please do explain how.

And don't give me the excuse that I haven't taken the movie all in because of a first viewing. Unfortunately I saw this movie a second time because of the behest of my friends who had not seen it yet. Good thing I wasn't sober.