4 Things To Think About National Suicide Prevention Week

4 Things To Think About As National Suicide Prevention Week Comes To An End

Although there is only one Suicide Prevention Week, the conversation about suicide prevention should continue all year round.

47

Suicide is currently the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. Suicide is preventable, which makes this statistic much more upsetting. There are many warning signs in people who are contemplating suicide so we need to educate ourselves in order to prevent more deaths. If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. This line provides 24/7 anonymous support for people in distress or going through a crisis.

1. Look out for the warning signs

There are a lot of warning signs and risk factors that appear in people who are suicidal, so it is our job to educate ourselves about them.

Here are some warning signs to familiarize yourself with: Changes in behavior such as increased use of alcohol or drugs, withdrawing from activities, isolating one's self from friends and family, aggression, fatigue, loss of interest, feeling a burden to others and feeling hopeless.

Risk factors can be: Mental health conditions, physical health conditions, access to lethal weapons such as drugs or firearms, stressful life occurrences, family history of suicide and childhood abuse or trauma.

2. NEVER disregard someone's feelings

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what you think when it comes to how serious something is that someone is going through. What they tell you and what they feel about a situation should be taken seriously. If someone makes jokes about hurting themselves or committing suicide, you should never dismiss those. Don't judge someone on what they feel or how they express themselves emotionally. Everyone's feelings are valid no matter what they are.

3. If you are having your own thoughts of suicide

Professional help should be the first thing you seek if you are thinking about suicide or are feeling depressed. Tackling these feelings head-on is the best way to help yourself.

Give yourself a daily routine to fill your life with purpose. Of course, everyone's life has purpose and meaning, but sometimes it is hard to feel that way. If you feel lost in this way, make a plan for yourself each day and get into a healthy routine. You can work out, eat a healthy breakfast, partake in your favorite hobby, get some fresh air, get the correct amounts of sleep, etc. What you do in your spare time really shapes your mental health.

Also, pay attention to the good things in your life. While there is a lot of bad in the world, there is also an incredible amount of good. Even if it's just the small things, acknowledge them. This will make all of the difference in your routine.

4. Know the resources

If there is an emergency, the first place to call should always be 911.

If you or someone you know is going through a crisis, there are resources for that as well.

Crisis Resources:

24/7 Crisis Hotline: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Network: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) (Veterans, press 1)

Crisis Text Line: Text TALK to 741-741 to text with a trained crisis counselor from the Crisis Text Line for free, 24/7

RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

These are just some of the many different resources there are to use when you need help. It's OK to ask for help. It is OK to not be OK. You are loved and we want you here.