10 Ways To Know If A Loved One Is Struggling

Suicide Prevention Month means knowing the warning signs.

782
Unsplash

There is a high chance you know someone who committed suicide - whether that is a direct relationship to someone you love, an acquaintance, or a friend of someone close to you. When I was in high school, before I graduated, two people killed themselves - one was someone I did not know well, but he was in the class of 2012 with the other 600 of us. The other was my neighbor. He was a year older than me, and he was someone who made me laugh. He was not a close friend of mine, but he was best friends with my other friends at school. Both of these incidences were shocking and horribly sad. Although I tried my best to empathize when these incidences occurred, I realize now how incredibly naive I was about suicide and depression. It is very hard to understand the severity of the situation unless you know someone personally who was struggling, or went through it yourself. I never thought a few years later I would be considering the exact same fate. It is easy to say, "Well don't do it. It's selfish." Or, "You need help." What most people don't see is the consideration of suicide, forming a plan, and following through with it, is a long, spiraling downward cycle of negativity and putting yourself down. Once it gains speed, it can easily spiral out of control. Perceptions appear warped and it appears as if everyone is out to get you. Unfortunately, if the right people are absent at the wrong time, the results can be fatal. I can't create words big enough or powerful enough to describe the travesty of suicide. What I can do is talk about it. We can change this. The number one step to preventing suicide is knowing the warning signs.

1. The Person Appears To Be Very Different Than Usual

There is a difference between having a bad day, and having a series of horribly sad days. Your best friend is usually goofy - laughing all the time. She loves planning fun trips and hanging out with friends. Recently, you have noticed she seems different. There is no more laughing. She looks different - as though it is hard to get dressed in the morning. She looks exhausted. She is not hanging out with you anymore, and when she does, she seems withdrawn.

This is a classic scenario something is not OK. If there is a "360" change in appearance, activities, behavior, etc., there is a fair chance something is wrong.

2. The Person Sleeps ALL. THE. TIME.

Oversleeping. Can't get up for class or work. Skipping obligations.... falling asleep while performing everyday tasks. Again - appears exhausted or tired more frequently than not.

3. The Person Is Not Eating

A loved one is not eating healthy balanced meals. They skip meals. Maybe they say things like, "I don't deserve to eat." They appear to be losing weight because they are not eating.

4. There Is An Increase In Drug Or Alcohol Abuse

Many may read this and roll their eyes, but if you or someone you love is using drugs and alcohol to mask stress or bad feelings, you are inviting the opportunity to become an addict. Once you become an addict, your brain permanently alters forever, and there is no going back - even if you gain sobriety. When someone is struggling emotionally, alcohol and drugs are easy alternatives. The temporary "feel goods" of alcohol and drugs are temporary. Alcohol is a depressive. This means it will make you more depressed as you gain sobriety again. Mixing alcohol and prescription drugs can be fatal. People die by doing this by accident as well as on purpose. Alcohol can increase feelings of hopelessness. It can make you physically sick. It can blur judgement. It can increase the chance of panic attacks.

5. Isolation

A loved one is generally alone. A loved one enjoys minimal socialization. Avoids people they love. Has stopped reaching out to spend time together. Does not want to attend events, gatherings, or go out in public.

This can be dangerous for a variety of reasons. If a person is feeling especially hopeless when isolated, bad things can happen. If a depressed person gets in their head while alone, self harm and suicide can easily happen.

If you notice a loved one is isolating themselves, offer to make dinner for them and come over. Make a movie night. Plan a sleepover. Have a loved one stay with you for awhile. Get to know their triggers. Ask them how they are doing. Call them.

While you cannot help a person with depression on your own, the little things make a big difference. The little things save a person's life. By offering support, you are showing they are not alone. You are showing them others love and care. You are proving others care and will help get the resources needed for professional help.

6. The Person Explains Everyone Is Out To Get Them

In other words, perception becomes warped. Emotional - mind has taken over and the person is thinking directly out of their depression. This means taking things personally with little factual information to support their train of thought. If this happens, be there to listen. Challenge their thinking. Again, show support and love. Let them know they are not alone and you love them very much.

7. The Person Is Very Negative

They see the world in a negative way. There is little optimism. Everything is a struggle or wrong. There is no hope.

8. You Know The Person Has A Plan/ Fatal Objects In Their Home

If you know a person has a plan to end their life, this is huge. Offer to go with them in their living space and remove objects or medicine they know they could use to harm themselves. If they are willing to remove it, this is a good sign - a sign they are willing to make changes to help themselves and receive help. If they are not willing to get rid of the objects or are threatening to end their lives, contact professionals immediately.

9. A Loved One Does Not Want Help

If someone does not want help, they are very depressed. At this point, you need to take initiative. Notify people close to the depressed person. Spend time with them until a professional can take over. Call the police if necessary. If it reaches this point, the goal is to get the person help immediately. Let them know you are willing to go to the emergency room with them if they choose to take this path. It is important to remember, you can not change someone. At the end of the day, a loved one needs to make changes for themselves and nobody else. Don't be their therapist. You cannot do this on your own. The goal is to provide resources and love until a professional can take over.

10. "I Don't Want To Be Here Anymore."

If a loved one hints at death or says things like, "I want to die," "There is nothing for me here," etc., this is a huge deal. Although statements like these are alarming, it is important to stay calm and strong for the person struggling. For one, the fact a person is sharing this statement with you means they don't actually want to die. They want help but don't know how to get it. If someone truly wanted to end their lives, they would just do it and not tell anyone. Call them immediately. Call the police. If you are not sure if a person is harming themselves, it is never bad to call the police or notify parents or a significant other of the loved one. It is better to be safe than sorry - even if the person will get mad at you. That call can save a person's life.

We can prevent suicide by learning more about it. People kill themselves because they feel like nobody understands or cares. The feel alone in a world of millions. Let's change the stigma. Let's start talking. Let's prevent suicide.