7 Ways To Be Successful, As Told By A Procrastinator

I learned these tips the hard way so you don't have to.

569

I remember when I first stepped onto Stony Brook's college campus, eager and ready to start this new chapter of my life. From the very beginning, I promised myself that as a college student, I would be responsible, productive, and, most importantly, a wildly successful individual. Barely three weeks had passed before I completely gave up on all of these goals and settled with just barely coasting by.

Of course, by the end of the semester, I was beyond stressed, anxious, and had a tendency to break down almost every other day.

After that horrific semester, I vowed to myself I would never let myself feel like I was inadequate and worthless as I often did while struggling through my classes. So, my resolution for 2018 (even though I think New Year's resolutions are, excuse my language, complete horseshit) was to shape up. I owed it to my parents, my friends, but more importantly, to myself. If I couldn't feel good about myself, what could I feel good about?

Of course, it's a difficult transition for someone as lazy as myself to suddenly plunge into proficiency. However, I learned some things along the way that helped make the days easier.

1. Wake up earlier

I know. This was actually the worst part of my new "regimen." SO many times I just wanted to hit snooze and sleep until late afternoon. But the times that I did, I felt unproductive and restless.

I found that waking up earlier gives you more time to tackle everything you have planned for the day - and with time left over! And that sense of accomplishment was totally worth the grogginess.

2. Coffee

This actually ties well with waking up early, especially if you're a night owl like me and love staying up late. Caffeine will help give you that extra burst of energy you need for the morning, and besides, don't you feel so put together with a cup of Starbucks in your hand?

3. Plan your days ahead of time

I know what you're going to say: "I don't need to write anything down, I'll remember it!" That's where I started spiraling downwards. I never wrote anything down because I figured I'll remember to do it later on and guess what? I never did.

So trust me, take the extra minute and write down what you have to do for the day, or even for the week if you feel up to it. Seeing your day planned out for you makes you feel less overwhelmed by the work you have to get done and is in and of itself an exercise in time management.

4. Know your strengths and weaknesses

Ever heard Work Smarter, Not Harder? Set your harder assignments, like that Calculus homework or a six-page paper, for a day when you know you'll have plenty of time and energy rather than trying to get it all done in a rush and stressing yourself out, or rather doing your easier assignments instead even though you know you can bang those out whenever (even right before class starts).

This is time management, and by separating all your assignments correctly it also frees up your week for whatever you have planned.

5. Exercise

Trust me, working out is essential to keeping a positive attitude and the rush of endorphins after you finish a great workout is just the greatest way to start your day. Can't make it to the gym? Look up 10-minute core workouts and strive to exercise right after you wake up. It sets the tone for the rest of the day and leads to more productivity!

6. Make a feel good playlist

Everyone needs a Spotify playlist that makes them feel like dancing whenever they play it. Music definitely affects your mood, and whether it's hype rap or German folk music (I don't know your life) that gets you going, a playlist full of your favorite songs will help kickstart your day.

And most importantly...

7. Don't forget to have fun!

You put all the work and time in, now it's time to enjoy yourself! As much as you'd like to grind 24/7, that leads to strain and eventually, burning out. My trick is getting all your work out of the way during the weekday to leave your weekends free for whatever makes you happy – whether it's hoodrat activities with your best friends or just curling up in a cozy blanket with hot chocolate and a good book.

Go ahead, pop that champagne bottle. You deserve it, boo.