16 Things Subway Workers Wish Their Customers Knew

We work hard for the customers satisfaction.

816
Instagram

Since working at Subway I’ve learned a lot. I’ve learned you have to be patient sometimes when you work, you never know what kind of customer you’re getting when they walk through the door. I’ve grown close to my coworkers as well as getting to know some of the customers who come in often. We get to know them as well as what their favorite sandwich is.

Subway is a huge company; there are roughly 45,000 stores throughout the world (112 countries). I’ve worked at my Subway for about two years now. Although there are a lot of Subways around, each one is different even though they may seem the same. Some are owned by different people even though it’s run by the same company.

Here are 16 things Subway employees wish their customers knew!

1. Coupons

We can only take one coupon at a time, we cannot take two and we can not ring you up as two separate orders. We cannot take coupons after they’ve expired so please keep watch of that and don’t get upset if we cannot take it for any reason.

2. We aren’t the same as other stores

Saying “The other Subway let me…” or “The other Subway does this…” doesn’t mean we are able to do the same. We may be run by the same company, but that doesn’t mean we are all doing the same sales or selling the same items.

3. The wraps

We can’t toast the wraps because it would be difficult for us to wrap them after. And we can’t put double meat on the wraps because they are a footlong portion. Also, don’t be upset with the number of veggies we put on it; with too much, it will be hard to close.

4. We have to toast flatbreads

We have to toast the flatbreads otherwise we wouldn’t be able to fold them over after we are done.

5. Please say guacamole first

If you want to have guacamole on your sandwich please ask us before we put on the veggies. If you ask us after we already finished putting your veggies on the sandwich it is difficult for us to apply the guacamole.

6. If you have a large order, please call ahead

If you are ordering more than six sandwiches please call in or order online. That doesn’t mean you should order a six inch or a footlong meatball sandwich with nothing else on it.

7. Please be on time for your order

If you do make a call in order please be on time to pick it up. We understand that you may have gone to the wrong one (it happens sometimes) but being on time for your call in is important. If you’re not going to be picking up at the store you called in please call them back and explain.

8. Don’t tell us everything on the sandwich at first

If you are getting more than one sandwich please don’t tell us what's going on all of them at once, we will most likely forget and ask you to repeat yourself. The only thing we need know is; what bread, the size (footlong or six inch), what meat is going on it, what cheese is going on it, and will it be toasted. After that we will ask you what veggies and sauce will be going on it.

9. Don’t say everything if you don’t mean everything

When you say you want everything on your sandwich and then as we reach for one of the veggies you may say you don’t want that or the next one we go to grab. You shouldn’t be mad or upset because you did say you wanted everything on it.

10. Tell us how many you’re getting first

If you know you are getting more then one sandwich please let us know when you start ordering the first one. Don’t tell us when we are done and about to ring you out.

11. Please wait for us to use credit cards

If you are using your credit card or any kind of card for that matter, please wait for us to tell you when you can use it. We understand that you may be in a rush, but don’t slide or chip your card when we haven’t even put your order in the computer yet. Just please wait and let us tell you when you can proceed to checkout with your card.

12. Don’t let your kids run around the store

If you have young children with you when you’re in the store, please don’t let them run around the store. There are other customers in the store and they are worrying about what sandwich they want themselves.

13. Clean up after yourself, please

If you are eating there please be courteous when it comes to your table. Yes, we do clean the tables and sweep the floor, however, it is difficult to do so if there are meatballs on the floor or pieces of lettuce. We ask you to at least clean up after yourself and not to leave empty bags of chips or napkins on the table.

14. The kids' meals

When you order a kids meal you have to get the full meal; the sandwich, the chips (or cookie or apples) with a juice box or a milk. The sandwich is smaller than a six-inch so please don’t complain about the size of the bread. We aren’t allowed to sell you just the sandwich.

15. Repeating yourself

We understand that you may be annoyed when we ask you to repeat yourself. We only ask you to do so if we forget mainly because there may be people talking at once. We just ask to be patient with us just like you would ask us to be patient with you.

16. Knowing what you want

When you walk in we understand that you may not know what you want yet, but if you have been standing in line for a while and we walk over and ask “what can I get for you?” we hope you know. You had time to look at the menu to finalize your choice.

After working for Subway, whenever I go out to eat now I try and not leave anything on the table. Yes, it is difficult, but I understand how the workers feel when they have to clean up after me.

Next time you go to a Subway please be kind to the workers-- they are doing the best they can. They try their hardest at making the perfect sandwich for you and they try to keep the store clean. We thank you in the long run for choosing to eat at Subway and do hope you come again.