13 Tips To Survive Studying Abroad

13 Tips To Survive Studying Abroad

This is how to make an already enjoyable experience even better.

189
13 Tips To Survive Studying Abroad
Amanda Burch

Studying abroad is the experience of a lifetime: you will make an insane amount of memories that will last forever. In the weeks and months leading up to leaving to study abroad, youā€™re mind is spinning over what to pack, when should you plan your weekend trips, and just how to prepare for living in a completely different country for months.

After my experience studying abroad in Spain, I've learned from both my mistakes and from those abroad with me to compile a list of 13 tips to make sure your study abroad experience is everything you dreamed it would be!

1. Space Bags

Oof, packing for 5+ weeks in another country is stressful and, if youā€™re an over-packer like me, nearly impossible. How does anyone fit their entire life into one suitcase, especially when youā€™re expecting to go to classes, events, sightseeing, and travelling? It takes a certain amount of genius to finagle everything you own into such a finite amount of space.

Thankfully, space bags will make your packing experience a heck of a lot easier.

Like I said, I am an over-packer. With space bags, I fit everything my heart desired into one suitcase. Everyone I studied abroad with always said the wished theyā€™d thought of it. Now you can be saved their trouble and headache.

I recommend the ones that you need an actual vacuum to seal; the ones that you roll to get the air out do not typically perform as well, in my experience. I know space bags can be a bit pricey but, trust me, they are so worth it.

2. International SIM Card.

If you are planning on being abroad for a prolonged period of time, whether that be because you are choosing to stay abroad after your program ends or your program is one of the longer ones, it can be a cost-effective alternative to opt for a new SIM card once abroad.

Having complete access to everything cellular data allows: walking directions, looking up restaurants, FaceTime, posting on Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook, all while on the go, is simply not possible while abroad. That is, unless you get a new SIM card while studying abroad.

Getting a new SIM card will change your phone number, however, everything else about your phone should remain the same. The only other difference is that with your old, American SIM card, you would get charged huge fees for using cellular data while overseas.

3. Google Maps.

Good news: if you choose to forgo getting a new SIM card in your foreign destination, you will not be totally without a means to get directions. As a society, we have become very reliant on our phones to provide step-by-step instructions.

While using your maps feature on your phone while abroad could potentially rack up some hefty charges, there is a sneaky way to get around this: Google Maps.

If you do not have a SIM card, it is likely you will have to turn off your cellular roaming feature in order to avoid getting hit with fees for data usage. But, while on Wi-Fi access, whether at the FSU Study Center or at a restaurant that provides Wi-Fi access, you can look up walking directions on Google Maps on your phone while on Wi-Fi and begin the directions.

Even as you walk out of range of the Wi-Fi, Google Maps will continue to provide directions without using data. Thank you Google!

4. Accepting the Transportation Learning Curve.

Whether youā€™re from New York or Tallahassee, we all have a sense of familiarity with how certain transportation services operate. We become familiar with using Uber in one city but taxis in another, and we get pretty familiar with the logistics of how to access different transportation services.

However, depending on the country and city, you will have to get used to different rules while overseas.

For instance, in Valencia, there really was not Uber. Instead, taxis and the metro were the available means of transportation. However, in France, Uber was very common. Furthermore, even the system for accessing different forms of transportation varied from place to place. In Valencia I could hop in any taxi I found, whereas in Amsterdam I had to go to a specific taxi line and only get in the taxis waiting in that line, even if I found a different one that was vacant.

The point is: the sooner you accept that things concerning transportation are simply going to be done differently, the more open youā€™ll be to actually finding out what those unwritten rules are. Thereā€™s going to be a learning curve and just remember that and try not to get frustrated when youā€™re out of your comfort zone.

5. Neck Pillow.

While maybe a pretty obvious trick, I know a lot of people, myself included, who went into studying abroad without a neck pillow and ended up buying one while we were there.

Itā€™s inevitable: you will sleep while aboard transportation. Whether the 14-hour flight to the country youā€™re studying in or the 5-hour bus ride to catch a 4-hour flight to visit another country nearby, you are going to want to take advantage of that down time to sleep. Why? Carpe diem. Youā€™re on your own in a foreign country, trying to take advantage of every possible moment and experience while acing your classes: sleep is going to take a secondary priority.

But, while travelling you get a unique opportunity to catch up on some zā€™s. A neck pillow is 100% a must. Most come with ends that snap together, so neck pillows are super easy to attach to either your carry-on or yourself. Plus, the advantage to purchasing one beforehand is that you can pick exactly the one you want and you can use it on the flight there, which is definitely not quick.

6. Being Honest About Culture Shock.

In the weeks leading up to your departure, youā€™ll hear a thing or two about culture shock. Culture shock hits different people at different times and to differing degrees. While you might be tempted to brush it off or muscle through, being up front with the program directors and with your friends if youā€™re struggling adjusting is important.

It may not feel like it at first, but you have a huge support system while abroad and you do not have to push through culture shock alone. There are people all around you who have gone through or are still going through the same thing and being honest about your culture shock can only make studying abroad a more positive experience.

7. Learn the Nuances to Terminology.

Thereā€™s a reason for the saying ā€œlost in translation.ā€ Whether you have taken courses in the language or only know a few key phrases, you will find that in many countries you travel to, there exist local nuances you were not aware of.

For instance, when I left to study abroad in Spain, I was familiar with referencing ā€œbathroomā€ as ā€œbaƱo.ā€ However, soon after I arrived in Valencia, I discovered that locally, ā€œbaƱoā€ was specifically used to indicate the toilet, while ā€œaseoā€ was used to indicate the bathroom. People probably thought it was pretty brazen of me to ask where the toilet was, but everyone was very understanding and I figured it out eventually.

Bottom line: be aware that every place is going to have their own way to reference or talk about certain subjects and approaching your experience with that awareness will only help you integrate more seamlessly into the vibrant local culture.

8. Be Open to Traveling With Different People.

Some of you may be studying abroad with your close friends; some of you may be walking into this experience not knowing anyone else going. In either case, it can be easy to become comfortable traveling with the same group of people every weekend.

While travelling with friends is in no way a negative thing, donā€™t let their travel preferences dictate your decisions. You want to go to France but your friends want to go to Italy? No problem, there is a whole program of other people who you most likely are connected with through a program-wide Facebook group.

Reaching and saying, ā€œAnyone else thinking about going to France this weekend?ā€ on either the program Facebook page or to other people in your classes is super easy, and youā€™re likely to find plenty of others who want to go to the same place as you!

9. Set Your Phone Time to ā€œ24-Hourā€ Time.

In many countries across the world, time is referenced in the framework of 24 hours. For instance, instead of it being 1:30 pm, itā€™s 13:30. This can be a tricky concept to wrap your head around. After all, youā€™ve spent 18+ years learning to think of time in a completely different way.

To aid in this transition, it could be beneficial to set the time on your phone to 24-hour time. On iPhones, you go to ā€œSettingsā€ > ā€œGeneralā€ > ā€Date & Timeā€ > ā€œ24-Hour Timeā€.

Doing this is especially helpful when working around travel times on tickets or in communicating with personnel at airports and bus stations, as it can be a bit of a puzzle to look at the time on your ticket, translate it into the time youā€™re used to, and then translate it back into 24-hour time. Or, if youā€™re trying to figure out how long you have until you need to leave for the airport or bus station, to have to convert the current time into 24-hour time to compare it to the departure time on your ticket can be a needless complication.

It can save you the whole headache to just have the time already converted on your phone.

10. Spring for the Water.

In the US, we are fairly accustomed to receiving water with our meals at restaurants. Overall, water is not hard to come by.

In Europe, as well as on other continents, water is definitely not come across so easily. Much of the time water costs extra at restaurants and many locals will tell you that they do not recommend drinking anything besides bottled water.

While it is tempting to skimp on water while eating out, as you would rather spend that 4ā‚¬ on appetizers or a bottle of wine for the table, spend the extra money and spring for the water.

You will be in an almost constant state of movement while you are abroad: walking to sightsee, hurrying to the airport, and scrambling to finish your homework. With access to water being somewhat limited, staying hydrated may take more of a conscious effort than you are used to.

You are going to need all the water you can get and spending the extra money on water while out to eat is going to be an important way your body stays healthy so you can keep having the experience of a lifetime!

11. Know Your Credit/Debit Card Policy.

Unless you plan on leaving with all of the euros you plan on spending for your entire trip, youā€™re going to use your credit or debit card while abroad. Whether taking out cash or using your card for a purchase, being aware of the limitations of your credit or debit card policy concerning international use and of use for different currencies is important.

Some credit card companies charge extra to convert from dollars into another currency, some donā€™t. Some credit or debit card companies charge an additional fee at ATMs while using a different currency. The amount of the fee and the circumstances that incur a fee are different for different companies and policies.

Knowing the details of your credit or debit card policy both prepares you for paying any potential future fees and helps you decide if you need to get a credit card that is more favorable towards international travel.

12. Respect the Area You Are Living.

You may be used to living in an apartment surrounded by other college students who have similar living habits that you do. Your neighbors probably keep a similar schedule of odd hours and are okay if they hear your music through the wall.

But, in many study abroad programs, you are not staying in a strictly college student area. Chances are you will be in a quasi-residential area where your neighbors are professionals and families who have to get up early to go to work every morning.

Being cognizant and respectful of the area you are living in not only is common courtesy and polite, but also helps protect the continuation of study abroad programs for the future.

If there is a constant issue of noise complaints, it is less likely that the program will be able to remain in that area.

So, do everyone who wants to study abroad a favor and be courteous to those living around you.

13. Research Local Events.

Most, if not all, areas have events that are specific to them. The celebrations of these events are vibrant and expose you to the true personality of the area youā€™re studying in.

While abroad, itā€™s easy to view the area youā€™re studying in as a stepping-stone to other areas to travel. Yes, it is much cheaper and easier to visit Switzerland while studying in Italy or Spain and you should definitely take advantage of your close proximity to other countries. However, donā€™t get so wrapped up in experiencing all of these other countries and forget to fully experience the area youā€™re in.

Every city has its own vibrant culture and traditions, missing out on them would be a true pity.

To make sure you donā€™t miss these amazing local events, look it up online or ask the program directors about upcoming events in the area so you donā€™t unwittingly plan a trip on the same date.