10 Study Strategies For All Of Us Bad Test Takers Out There

As finals approach so does test anxiety

350
Harlee Lynn Photo

I for one have never been a good test taker. With finals approaching it's important to know how to utilize your strengths and tackle your weaknesses regarding test taking.

Here are 10 tips to help improve your study habits:

1. Attitude Adjustment

The first step is to have a good attitude. You never want to go into a test thinking that you "HAVE" to take this test but that you "CHOOSE" to take this test.

2. Practice good study habits

Study somewhere you're comfortable. In a well -lit place with little to no distractions. Without background noise like TV and music, unless that helps you. Turn off your phone or move your social media apps out of your phones view so you aren't tempted to get on it.

3. DO NOT cram the night before

Yes, it seems tempting to go to the library the night before an exam, inject coffee into your veins and cram everything you've learned in a semester into your brain but it's NOT smart. You don't have time to process the information.

4. Break up your study sessions

If you're anything like me then you have a low attention span for anything to do with studying. Do yourself a favor and study for 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off for a few hours; then do this every day for a week or even few days before the exam.

5. Copy and summarize your notes

Typing or copying your notes allows you to review the information again and makes them easier to read. Summarize your notes to prove that you have an understanding of the material; the condensed information is easier to remember.

6. Clarify how the test will be

Ask your professor how long the test will be or how many questions it will consist of. Then ask what type of questions will be asked. This always makes me feel better.

7. Determine if you need extra help

Go to your schools academic or tutoring center. Visit your TA or professor's office hours no matter how cliche it sounds. They get to know your face and they will think you care about the material and class and who knows maybe bump your grade at the end.

8. Group study sessions

Although studying alone is important to learn, studying with others can give you more ideas about concepts you didn't know before. You can arrange for a room at the library and use google drive to make a big study guide.

9. Review old tests or quizzes (if applicable)

Most professors have the same style of tests whether that's multiple choice, true-false or fill in the blank. Do questions target general concepts or specific information? This can help you study the newest information.

10. Get a good nights sleep with a good breakfast

It sounds cliche but getting a good nights sleep helps with so many things. It eases your mind and spirit. Also eating a solid breakfast will help. Nothing too sugary either, sugar can make you hype for a short time...then crash.

Some of these strategies might not work for you because we all retain information differently, but some of them are proven to increase your grades. Plus if you go into a test well prepared you come out feeling better about the grade you worked so hard to get.