Study Abroad Is Worth It

Study Abroad Is Worth It

Many people question if it's worth it to travel with complete strangers to another country. I'm here to tell you it's 100% worth it.

194
Study Abroad Is Worth It
Sydney Mergler

I recently was able to go on a study abroad internship to Belize for a week. I was so uneasy about it and I almost didn't even get to go. I missed the deadline and by the grace of god the deadline was extended. If it weren't for that extension, I wouldn't have met the people I did.

I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason and this trip really helped to prove that theory right.

I met some of the best people in my life right now on that trip and I'm extremely grateful for that. Words can not describe what study abroad did for me.

Sydney Mergler

I really was uneasy about study abroad because I've only ever traveled to Europe and around the US so I really didn't know what to expect. I got so much more than I deserved. Belize changed me in a way that I could never truly be thankful enough. I not only fell in love with my career path but I fell in love with myself all over again. Study abroad showed me how important my future career is and how much I'm truly excited for it.

It's hard, especially during final season, to find motivation to keep on going with school. This trip helped me find that motivation again. Working with the children and knowing that I'm making a difference, no matter how small or large it may be, really is life changing.

Even just writing about this experience brings tears of complete joy to my eyes. I've waited a good couple of weeks to get to writing about how this trip changed me because I still can't believe it even happened. We really tend to take many things for granted and Belize definitely taught me to never take any experience for granted and to cherish each and every moment.

Sydney Mergler

This trip also taught me to get out of my comfort zone. I stick to what I know and my routine most days due to anxiety. I'm constantly pushing myself out of my comfort no matter how badly I want to talk myself out of it. I kept trying to talk myself out of this trip but I'm so glad I, with the help of two of my very close friends, snapped some sense into me.

I'm grateful for the friendships I've made and the memories that I will never forget. I can genuinely say each and every person I met on this trip has a pure and beautiful soul. I've never met such genuinely good people in my life. Each and everyone of them inspired me in one way or another without even knowing it. The ASL students inspired me to want to learn sign and be able to communicate with the Deaf community. Seeing them do what they do really touched my heart. My fellow future SLP's taught me to love my career and helped prove to me that I made the right decision.

Thank you to each and every one of you to being approachable and friendly. This was my second study abroad trip ever and I can honestly say it was the best one I've ever been on. Every single person was nice to each other. There were no cliches or mean girl behavior on this trip because we all came for a similar purpose and are all kind adults.

Sydney Mergler

It opened my eyes. It got me out of the dark place that I was heading for and made me realize what really maters, the future. If it weren't for Belize I wouldn't have gotten my life back together and taken control. So thank you study abroad, you changed my life and I hope that other people can have a positive experience like I did.

Sydney Mergler