Traveling While Studying Abroad is a Part of the Experience

Even though studying abroad is a trip itself, there's so much more to see than just one city.

106
Sarah Avdakov

One of the most unique opportunities that studying abroad offers is the opportunity to travel. Even though studying abroad is a trip to a different city in a new country, depending on where you go, traveling more can be a lot easier than it would be in the United States.

If you go somewhere like Europe, there are so many places that are never going to be closer than they are right now. I know people who have fully taken advantage of this by traveling to other countries in the European Union. Flying to England from Spain sounds like it's really far away, but it's still closer than flying from the US to England. If you have the time and the money, why not go see some of the cities and countries that you've always wanted to see?

At the very least, I recommend traveling around the country that you're studying abroad in. There are so many different parts of the country, and if you only see one city, you aren't getting the full experience of the country. Each city has something different to offer, and there can be so much variety between places. While you might not be able to get accustomed to the city in a couple of days, you can at least get to see what makes the city unique and know more of the history of another city.

Over the weekend, I was able to travel to the north of Spain, somewhere that is completely different than the city that I'm studying abroad in. Not only is the landscape different, but the culture is different too. Seeing a different part of the country made me value both my city more and other parts of the country. It breaks up the day to day routine and gives you something new to be able to explore and appreciate. By being able to see more of the country, I feel like I know more about the culture and am more a part of the country.

Where I'm studying abroad, there's a 30-minute train to Madrid that runs throughout the day every day. With close connections to the capital city, it has given me the opportunity to see more of the country. Since I'm so close to the capital of the country, I feel more connected to the rest of the country and like traveling to different cities is possible and easy.

Traveling around the country makes traveling to other countries seem less intimidating. Since you've already been able to explore the country that you've been staying in, why not adventure out and see more of the continent? After every trip that you take, you'll feel more comfortable traveling to other places. I know that I would've never agreed to travel by bus to a different state in the US, but in Spain, I feel completely comfortable traveling this way.

Even if you can't travel around the country because of money, you can get to know your city more. In Spain, there's a ton of history in the cities, and normally museums are pretty cheap for students. Learning outside of class is important so that you can get to know the area that you're in better. Seeing these places in real life is so much more breathtaking than just seeing pictures of them, and there are so many important places scattered around Spain that you can visit.

There's no reason to not take a weekend trip somewhere because the tickets are reasonable, and there's so much more to see than the one city that you're staying in. Studying abroad should be so much more than just classes and spending time in your home. The most memorable experiences that I've had so far have involved my travels.