I Am Both Scared And Excited To Study Abroad

Melbourne, I am ready and not ready for you.

452

Guess who is going to live in Australia for six months??? THIS GIRL. I just found out last week that I got accepted into my school's study abroad program!!! I am so freaking excited for this to happen. I've travelled Europe plenty of times, but I've never been to Australia. I will be staying in the wonderful city of Melbourne, which happens to be the number one city to live in the world.

There is a multitude of reasons as to why I'm excited to live in Australia. First of all, I will be living in a completely new country. I know they speak English there, but the accents and the culture are going to be such a shock to me. They drive on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD. I've been to London countless times, but living in a place where the roads are different? Nervous. The slang there is also different. They have a lot of different words for the normal words we use here in the US. For example, a swimsuit is called a "bathing costume" and the afternoon is called the "avro". I'm also excited to live in an apartment with other students. My friends from SCU won't be in Australia with me, so it will be an adventure meeting new people.

One thing that I am really really REALLY scared about is being so far away from home. I've mentioned before that I'm really homesick this year so I don't really know how that is going to go over in Australia. My parents are definitely going to visit me, but I'm still scared of being somewhere completely new for that long. But, I know that I will be able to make memories with the people that I meet there and open myself to new possibilities.

I'm most excited about the memories that I am going to make. Everyone I've talked to who has gone abroad has said that their time there was the best thing. It's a unique opportunity that not many people get to enjoy and I am so blessed that I am able to embark on this journey. You can look forward to LOTS of articles about Australia...coming soon :)