5 Things Every Student Teacher Should Know

Confessions of a Student Teacher in the First Week of School

49
Talia Hodge

The first day of school has many memories for people; some good, and some not so good. As I walked into Blackford High School to begin my student teaching, I had no idea how much I would learn within the first few days. Not only do I get to play the role of teacher, but I am also a student. This seemed contradictory to me at first, and I wondered for a brief moment if my entire life was a lie; however, reality set in when I discovered how much learning I truly have ahead of me.

There are five main truths that every person should know before they begin student teaching, and I’m sure that I will have much more to share as the semester goes on.

1. On the first day, everyone gets a pass to mess up.

2. No matter how much coffee you drink, you will be pretty tired at some point during the day.

3. When you get along with the staff, the job feels more like a blessing than a job.

4. There will be those few students who give you “the sass”

5. Ultimately, teaching is a calling.

Essentially, adults are children in bigger bodies with special privileges. That being said, teachers do not know everything in the entire world. This was a relief to me as I walked into the school in my black heels and patterned, ankle length, teacher pants. I told a few students the incorrect instructions for a first-day assignment, and my teacher looked at me and said, “It’s the first day! Everyone gets a freebie.” With a sense of relief, I gained a new sense of confidence that came with the understanding that is as simple as the old Hannah Montana lyrics: “Everybody makes mistakes.” As a student teacher, I am bound to make a lot more.

Particularly in the afternoon, right after lunch, as your pb&j is being digested—you feel the complete urge to take a nap like the student in the second row. Coffee is essential for student teaching. I did not used to drink coffee very often, and I learned very quickly that I need coffee in order to push through the day with energy left over to drive home and still have a life. Students come to school every day; however, that does NOT mean that they are actually “with it” during the school day. Teachers have to be; therefore, when the school has a Keurig, you buy k-cups. Chocolate is also good, but chocolate is always good, so I’m not telling you anything new.

When I sit down to eat lunch, I sit with fellow teachers who are absolutely amazing. We share stories, what we are doing in the classes, incidents we’ve had to deal with, and how we are feeling. Sitting down to eat with these friends helps me have more energy, new wisdom, and relationships with people who also love teaching. We are basically like the coolest squad you will ever meet because we care a lot, we try our best, and we prepare the leaders of the future. I’m pretty sure we should get paid more since your fate is in our hands…

Image from: https://www.empoweringparents.com/article/sassy-ki...

Yes, during the first couple of days, there will be students who talk back. They think they rule the roost, and as my cooperating teacher exemplifies—they need to have a metaphorical, swift kick in the rear. I’ve already had a few students get upset with me for calling them out for not staying on task or telling them that I did, in fact, overhear the cuss word they said under their breath. My cooperating teacher reminded me that I am not teaching in order to make friends. Some students will NOT like me, and that is ok, because ultimately, I am helping them in the best way that I know how, and I care a heck of a lot about them. I love my cooperating teacher because she is so good at showing students that she cares about them, but that she means business, and no one is going to mess with her class time. I hope to be able to do the same thing, and I’m sure I will continue to learn plenty within the next few months.

Image from: http://purpletwirls.com/blog/light-at-the-end-of-t...

If you don’t feel the call to teach, GET OUT NOW! This job is amazing, and it is anything but easy. Teachers will be held accountable for what they teach, and they hold the future in their hands. They stand in front of it every day for at least eight hours. I absolutely love students, and being in the school gives me such joy. I was able to help some of the students with a worksheet today, and the feeling of being able to help them understand something is so fulfilling to me. There will be amazing days and hard days and the days in between, but ultimately, no matter what kind of day lies ahead, the calling needs to come first. I’ve learned from my fellow teachers that there are students who come to them contemplating suicide. There are students who cry out to them for help. There are students who essentially raise their own parents, and teachers are the only sense of security they feel. This job is not one I will ever take lightly, and I look forward to the students changing my life just as much as I hope that the light that lives in me helps to change theirs’.