5 Ways To Be A Better Student, And 5 Ways To Be A Better Professor

We all just suck sometimes.

219

We've all had terrible professors, and those classes can be a struggle to get through. Maybe your professor is a stickler for formatting, or doesn't explain things well. But on the other hand, we could all be better students, too. So here's 5 tips for you, and 5 tips for your professor (but maybe don't forward this to them until after finals).

1. Do the reading

Honestly, you really can't complain about your professor's explanations if you haven't done the reading. And that doesn't always mean in-depth reading, either. Sometimes it's all I can do to make it through the Cliffsnotes version, but at least then I can follow along in class and get caught up later. And trust me: your grades will thank you.

2. Take notes

This means different things for everyone, but for me it means typing my notes in class, then handwriting and color-coding them later. Maybe color-coding isn't your thing, but at the very least you should definitely have something to refer to later.

3. Get to know your professor

They're humans too! They understand how overwhelming and busy life can be, and if you're in touch with them from the beginning of the semester, they're way more likely to let one absence slide when you have the flu in April. Not to mention, sometimes they have cute pictures of their dogs/cats/gerbils in their offices.

4. Talk in class

Not only is this nice for your professor or TA, but it's great for that one person who is tired of being the only one answering every single question. Even if you aren't positive, most classes won't penalize you for raising your hand.

5. Do the end-of-semester surveys

Yes, I know they take 10 minutes out of your day, and sometimes they don't feel helpful at all. But answering honestly makes a real difference. Almost all of my professors have emphasized the importance of those surveys, so if you don't like how the class was organized, or how many group projects you had, don't be afraid to tell them.

While we could always improve our performances as students, sometimes it's really the professor's fault. And instead of always hearing a million complaints from students, I figured I'd throw together a quick list of ways that you (yes, you, Mr. Super-Important-Chemist) can do better.

1. Grade fairly

This is a big one. I currently have a professor whose highest possible grade on any homework is an 86 out of 100. While maybe she has her logic for that, it certainly makes no sense to me, and honestly makes me less likely to work hard on those assignments since I'm basically screwed over from the start. Be a decent human. Give us a chance.

2. Stick to the syllabus as much as you can

Obviously we get it if there's a snow day, or something else uncontrollable. But really, when you keep moving exam dates and readings around, it makes it nearly impossible for us to keep up. Especially when it comes to exams and papers, it would be much appreciated if you'd have them set far in advance.

3. Don't belittle us

Honestly, this should go without saying. Education is an open space for discussion and debate, and your job is to teach us. If we don't understand something, it's our job to ask. So if that one pothead in the back of the class raises his hand and asks you a question, don't blow him off or make him feel stupid for asking. If it's not relevant, fine, or if you'd rather explain it after class, that's fine. But don't embarrass anyone in front of the entire class. It's just called being a decent human.

4. Remember that we have other classes besides yours

Don't ask us to do more than you yourself could handle. We know you're busy too, but just because we aren't in the "real world" doesn't mean that we aren't overwhelmed with jobs, school, and relationships.

5. Be normal

Talk about your dog, ask us about our weeks, and commiserate when the weather is crappy. Being out of touch or inaccessible just makes it harder for us to learn and less likely to come to you with questions.

Some classes are just hard, and you're always going to struggle sometimes. Maybe you can take better notes, or (gasp) show up to class occasionally. But sometimes there are things the professor can do to help, and I don't think they get enough helpful feedback to help in that process. So be honest with them! Just.....maybe not too honest, at least until the end of the semester.