Stuck In A Loop

Stuck In A Loop

Falling into a loop is easy, but it can be dangerous.

91
Stuck In A Loop
Mark Asthoff

We’ve all done it, you find a new song, you put it on repeat, you learn all the lyrics, then you end up hating it and skipping it whenever it comes on. This is what happens when something is in a loop. No matter how amazing it is the first twenty, forty, or even eighty times, it will eventually get boring. This applies to songs, movies, going to work every day or even relationships. Falling into a loop is easy, it can be dangerous; however, if you are conscious of it and make an effort to get out, it is possible to avoid.

If we were machines, doing the same thing every day would make sense. It's efficient, secure, and safe; however, we are human. If we do the same thing every day we run the risk of waking up one day, realizing you've been in a loop for 60 years and haven't done anything you wanted to achieve. Daily routines help many people; they help keep you on task and they can be fine tuned to be very efficient. While it's not bad to have a daily routine, it can be dangerous. If you're not careful you'll get so used to your routine that if a new opportunity comes up you will miss it, simply because it wasn't a part of your routine.

Another type of loop you can get into is inside of a relationship, whether that's with a friend or a significant other. While doing the same thing over and over again with those people is a type of loop and can be bad since they will get bored, but that's not what I'm talking about. There's a much more dangerous loop you can get into with other people and that's getting used to someone who's toxic. There's plenty of people who at first seem awesome to be friends with or like it would be amazing to be in a relationship with them. After awhile, though, some people will take advantage of you or manipulate you. It often starts slowly, happens over and over again, getting worse as you get deeper into a relationship. This can make it extremely hard to tell while you're in this situation. Often times this is how you can find yourself with someone who treats you terribly; even though, if they treated you like this when you met, you would have bailed.

Now that you know the dangers of loops and how to tell if you're in one, you need to know how to get out of one. This can be easy or hard depending on the loop you're stuck in. If you are stuck in a daily routine it may be hard getting completely out of it, but you could. You could quit your job, drop out of school, and completely change what you do, but for many people, that's a horrible idea because you have responsibilities you need to take care of. If these aren't an option, you can still do small things to be more spontaneous. You can go on a road trip or go to an event you usually wouldn't go to because changing anything up and going outside your comfort zone is really all you need to do. Even just taking a different route to work or school will help break the loop and you will have tons more fun than normal.

Other loops can be harder to get out of. If you're stuck in a bad friendship or relationship it's going to be tough to get out of. Sometimes people can change and if you give them the chance to they will, but you can't expect them to. If you're afraid to cut toxic people out of your life then, they will keep taking advantage of you. It sucks cutting out someone you thought was your friend but you have to be able to do it. In the long run, it will be better for you.

Whether it's a daily routine or with a person, you must be cautious of loops. The dangers are much too high to ignore. Unless you want to be lying on your deathbed and realize you did the same thing for most your life, you have to get out of the loop. Be spontaneous, stay away from toxic people, and beware of the loop. You'll thank me later if you do.