5 Signs You're Still Stuck In High School, Mentally And Emotionally
Life Stages

5 Bright Red Flags You're Still Stuck In High School, Mentally And Emotionally

High school can be some of the greatest moments of our lives. But, needless to say, it should NOT be the best four years of your life.

1948

The day of my high school graduation was truly one of the most memorable experiences of my life. High school itself, on the other hand... not so much. Personally, I felt very trapped in high school. I didn't particularly enjoy the people I was surrounded by (especially by the time I was a senior). So, when I finally graduated, I was immediately ready to move on. I miss some of the memories, for sure, but I can't sit here and lie and tell you I miss high school. Because I definitely do not.

Unfortunately, I've noticed a lot of the people I went to school with can't say the same. A lot of people haven't been able to move on. They're stuck in this web of memories they miss far too much, and they're too focused on the past to move on to a better future.

Here are five indicators you simply haven't gotten out of your high school mindset just yet.

1. You still hang out with the exact same friend group... and that's it

Don't take this the wrong way. It is absolutely OK to remain close to friends from high school. Some people really just have a solid friend group that will always have their backs no matter what. The issue, in my opinion, is a reluctance to branch out. You get too caught up in this seemingly stable friend group and refuse to meet new people or incorporate new friends into your life. My life wouldn't be the same if I hadn't met the people I did in college. In fact, my life would be shit if I ONLY talked to the people I went to high school with. Again, everyone's experiences are different, and sometimes the friends you make in high school may be the best people to keep around in your life, so don't take what I'm saying the wrong way.

But also, you'd be surprised at how meeting new people will really show you what being a good friend is. And that could mean you haven't been hanging around the right people after all. Just some food for thought.

2. You don't shut up about your high school

I feel like this one is self-explanatory. I reminisce on my high school memories all the time, and that's mostly with the friends I keep in touch with from high school. However, don't make it your only topic of conversation. Move on with your life. Stop dwelling on the past, and make new memories you can reflect upon. Those memories will never fade - don't make them all that you have to value.

3. You still publicize your high school accomplishments/proud moments

We get it. You were the star quarterback of your football team. You were a lead in a musical that one time. You threw one of the best parties that one summer. All of these things are great to be proud of, but don't let it all that you are. Don't let your high school memories define your identity. There's so much more in life than what you accomplished within a high school setting. I'm not saying to not be proud of those things. I'm saying strive for even bigger and better things that you can take pride in.

4. You visit way too often (or have an urge to)

It's not a bad thing to go back every once in a while and support a club/organization or visit some former teachers. BUT, you should not be back there every single week. You should not WANT to be there all the time seeing the same people over and over again. Please get a job. Or go to college. Or do something other than visiting your old high school.

5. You peaked in high school

Yeah, this is unfortunate for some. You were super popular and had all these amazing "friends" and EVERYONE knew your name, but now what? What is there left now? I feel as though some people get so caught up in high school publicity and their self-image, they lose touch of reality and realize it's all short-lived. These people don't think about life beyond graduation, and as soon as they graduate, they're nothing now. Just an average individual that is a part of the U.S. demographic, just like the rest of us.

* * *

High school can be some of the greatest moments of our lives. It is a critical time in our lives, actually, because of the formative foundation it provides for us. But, needless to say, it should NOT be the best four years of your life. There's way more to look forward to. I can promise you that.