Stuck At Home

No matter your social class or age demographic, these are strange times.

Staying home has become the new normal. Experiencing life from the couch and living through a virtual reality has become part of most everyone's daily routine.

In this time of confusion and chaos, it's easy to fall into a pattern of restlessness and disappointment. Every person has had to make a sacrifice of some kind, and it's valid to feel discouraged.

However, throwing a prolonged pity-party does no one any good. I'm speaking as much to myself as everyone else concerning this.

Recently, I've felt the Lord pressing one prominent truth upon my heart. Be present.

That might sound strange, but when looking at the bigger picture it makes a little more sense.

I've found myself daydreaming of the day that this will all be over. I've mourned what I've had to give up. So, between these two things, I've been stuck in a cycle of looking to the past and longing for the future. I've completely neglected where the Lord has me now.

Like most college students, I'm now at home in the middle of the semester. My classes have all been pushed online, and everything feels anything but normal.

Yet, as the Lord has convicted me, I've been trying to alter my perspective. Usually, I would not get to spend this much time with my family, and I don't know another time that I'll get to have this much time with them. It's been a weird adjustment, but I'm trying to see it as a blessing.

I want to make the most of this time. This time isn't going to last forever, so I need to take advantage of it now.

All that being said, while everything else in the world has shifted, my purpose in life has not changed. Each day I wake up is another opportunity to know and glorify God more. I'm still called to minister to and love those around me.

It's okay to be disappointed, and it's okay to feel sad. However, it's not okay to be so consumed by your emotions that you miss what the Lord has for you today. Be present.

What about your perspective needs to change?