8 Struggles People With Braces Know All Too Well

From orthodontists to personal care, being stuck with braces was one of the biggest struggles as a teenager.

455

Having braces for five years of my life was a blessing and a curse. I didn't think I needed braces, but thank god my dentist recommended them because today my teeth are straight and aligned, but it wasn't easy having metal glued onto your teeth.

1. The pink paste they put into your mouth before you actually get the braces.

I think that was the equivalent to hell. It was by far the worst sixty seconds of my life and made me want to throw up.

2. Cutting your lip and gums on the side of a brace.

Let me tell you, ouch! I have some battle wounds on the inside of my mouth from the metal that was always sticking out.

3. Being called a brace face and everyone saying how weird you look.

Thank you? I know I looked weird, but the end result was worth it.

4. Getting your wires tightened every six weeks.

Even thinking about this hurts my mouth. It was extremely painful and you couldn't eat real food for the rest of the day. But, it was a good excuse to make Mom and Dad go out and buy a tub of ice cream.

5. Not being allowed to eat certain foods, but eating them anyways.

Popcorn, chewing gum, candies, you name it. It was worth the extra two minutes of flossing and brushing my teeth to get the excess junk out of the metal.

6. Picking the color for your bands during your annual check-up.

I experimented with all different colors, combinations and designs, but once I got older, the clear color seemed more and more acceptable than the bright obnoxious colors.

7. Being too scared to smile in school pictures.

Who wants a metal face in their yearbook picture that is going to be hung up on your grandmother's fridge? Girl, not me.

8. Waiting years and years to finally get the braces taken off, only to be told that you have to wear a retainer for two or more years.

I'll be honest, I lost my retainer twice. I hated wearing it and got out of the habit fast. My tip to you, make sure you wear it.

Sure, being one of the brace-faces in middle school wasn't fun, exciting, or attractive. In the end, after the countless check ups, orthodontists yelling at me, and ugliness made my smile more aligned than ever.