13 Sibling Struggles That Sometimes Make Being The Eldest Child SO Not Worth It

Say goodbye to being the only child. Say hello to... sharing?

347

When I found out that I was going to be an older sister, I was ecstatic! I couldn't wait to play dress up with her and when we grew older, do each other's makeup and tell each other secrets. Little did I know that being an older sister would come with more responsibilities than just playing dollhouse. Here are 13 lifelong struggles only older children will understand.

1. You grew up with dolls and stuffed animals, but they grew up with the iPad and iPhone.

Remember the good ol' days with eye-to-eye contact and speaking to people right in front of you?

2. The youngest can get away with murder.

Us? We'd be lucky to get away with a cookie.

3. We're supposed to be the "role models."

We must be perfect. Or else...

4. Who needs adults when they've got us?

I'll probably step foot in the house for two minutes after school. It won't be followed with a, "How was your day?" or "What did you do today?" Rather, "Didi (older sister), I need your help," or "Didi, I need you to print this out."

5. But of course, we're not supposed to act "bossy."

Right. So you expect me to somehow magically be able to be in charge of this monster who refuses to listen to me for even a single second, but at the same time I can't be too "overbearingly authoritative?" Good luck.

6. We have to deal with the "Oh, but she's only *XYZ age*; you're the one who should know better."

That excuse will probably follow you to the grave.

7. Our life motto: "You never let me do that when I was his/her age!"

I've given up at this point.

8. The youngest will copy our every move.

And of course, if you complain, you'll be hit in the face with the usual, "Oh, it's because she looks up to you." No, it's because she wants to irritate me.

9. Our sole purpose is to be the unpaid babysitter.

10. We always have to let them "hang out" with us while we're with our friends.

Oh, but if it's the other way around, all I'd hear would be a "Go away!"

11. We have to deal with their extremely creative insults.

Us: Yeah? Well, you're ugly, and nobody likes you!

Them: You're uglier, and nobody likes you either!

Yes, well done. Please give them a Nobel Peace Prize for their astounding revelations and creativity.

12. For some reason, rules change as time goes on.

When we were five and we did something wrong, we'd be grounded for a month, and whenever we came out of our rooms, death glares would follow our every moves. Now, if the youngest child did the same thing, parents just laugh it off, hug them and send them to the nearest TV. Seriously?

13. That point when the "I'm gonna tell mom!" threat stops working.

Now all I get is, "I don't care, do what you want." What's the point of being older when you can't strike fear into them?