I’m a second-year digital media production and journalism double major, but I've been studying video production since high school. And I absolutely love it; it's my passion. Making and editing videos is truly what I want to spend my life doing.
But here are 20 reasons why video production is actually the worst:
1. Thinking of a story idea
You either have so many ideas and you simply cannot choose one, or you have writer's block. There's no in between.
2. Story-boarding (when you have no artistic ability)
Because you somehow get it done.
Characters, location, shots. So many words.
4. Checking out equipment
Carrying a tripod and a camera around is low-key annoying (and extremely heavy).
5. Setting up a lighting kit
They’re hot. They’re heavy. They’re fragile. Did I mention they’re hot?
So many wires and batteries. And if you mess this part up, you’re pretty much screwed.
7. When you have no money so you have to use cheap props
8. Begging your friends and family to act for you
Help me, I'm poor.
9. When you have to interview people you don’t know
10. Realizing your entire shot was out of focus
11. Realizing your entire shot’s white balance was off
Now my actors look like oompa loopma’s. Or like they got a really bad spray tan.
12. Watching movies is now ruined for you
“That lighting is terrible. And they could have used a better shot than that. Are they even using a tripod?”
13. How expensive equipment is
Want to upgrade your camera or editing software? There goes your paycheck for six months.
You're forced to lock yourself inside a room until you finish this edit. Speak to no one and get rid of anything that could be a distraction.
You procrastinated, and now you have two days to shoot and edit an entire video. Good luck.
16. When you realize you forgot a shot
And now you have to go back out and re-shoot it.
17. Or when the computer freezes mid-edit
18. You somehow finish on time
Because you're perfect.