10 Realist Struggles Of Going Back To Your Hometown For the Holidays

We chose to leave but now we are back...just for the holidays.

1066

Finally time for the holidays again, but that only means one thing for those of us who left our hometowns: we have to go back. I know for me I'm excited about being back in my hometown for exactly two days and then I'm ready to go back to the place that I now call home.

I will tell you that I'm now used to more of a city lifestyle and adjusting to life when I go back to my hometown is a challenge for me. I always try to make the best of it though because I only make the trip home only two to three times a year. Whether you already had the car packed to leave the day you graduated high school or you were upset about leaving, you will understand these 10 struggles about going back to your hometown.

1. You can't find the shampoo and conditioner you use at any store within 25 miles of you. 

I'm from a rural area and the brands that I use aren't carried in any store in the closest city which makes my life difficult. I guess I have to remember to pack ALL my hair products then. Life is rough when you have only been using a certain brand for years now and it's nowhere to be found in your hometown.

2. You forget that the gluten-free section in your grocery store is super small.

What do you mean that I only have two freezer's to pick options from? Ummm...where is Fresh Thyme or Whole Foods? I guess this means that I have to buy everything I need for all my meals before I leave for my hometown. I guess if I'm going to all of this trouble I should go ahead and add the pumpkin pie cheesecake to my cart too.

3. You spend an entire day driving to the closest city that has all the stores you need to get all the food and hair products you need for the rest of your visit. 

Driving over an hour to get to stores that I needed was a norm for me but I'm now used to driving five minutes to what I need. This is going to be awful. How does a town that has every fast-food chain restaurant under the sun not have popular stores like Target, Meijer, Whole Foods, and Fresh Thyme?

4. Scheduling every single appointment under the sun into the week that you are home. 

I'm only home for a week but I still go to the doctor in my hometown and I will only let one person even touch my hair. At least I don't have to worry about trying to fit four appointments in during one day like I had to once.

5. Running into someone from high school. 

If we haven't talked in the last two years or you aren't my Facebook friend then please keep walking. You more than likely made my life miserable in high school and I don't want to talk to you now. You can admire my cute clothes and the city vibe that I now have, but please don't think about talking to me if you made my life a living h*ll in high school.

6. Old rules.

We are adults and make our own rules, but when we are back for the holidays it's back to the "our house, our rules" mindset. I'm almost 21 so please don't make me live by the curfew that I had when I was 16. Plus I don't even have friends back here anymore so where will I even be that late? It's just nice to know that I can be out that late if I want to be.

7. Missing your S.O. 

I know that my boyfriend won't be coming home with me for the holidays anytime soon and I will be gone for at least a few weeks for each holiday. This is going to be a rough time trying to coordinate times to FaceTime and calls when we are so busy with our families.

8. Stuck in your childhood room for what seems like forever. 

There is a strong chance that you haven't redecorated since high school and you feel like you are re-living the nightmare that was high school. Before you know it, you will be looking through your senior year memento box and looking at pictures from prom. Do you even remember any of those people in the pictures anymore? This honestly feels like a night mare. As long as you don't come across your varsity jacket then you should be alright, right?

9. Getting asked personal details about your life.

At some point while you are visiting family, you will end up getting asked some question that requires you to tell some aspect of your personal life. I personally like the option of telling them that you are marrying a prince and will be leaving on New Year's Day to spend the rest of your life as a princess in a castle. Heck, by the time your parents find out you will be back in the city and your parents can take care of it (sorry mom and dad....I promise I won't tell too many relatives that this year).

10. Living a double life. 

As much as you want to scream that you want to be referred to by your name and not by "so and so's niece" and "so and so' granddaughter" everytime you go somewhere, you have to remember that your hometown only really knows you as that. None of them have been able to see you become into your own person or outgrow your awkward phase. Unless they have been following you on social media then they have no idea how much you are thriving now. This week will have you feeling like you are living a double life.