32 Struggles of Being a Server

32 Struggles of Being a Server

The common frustrations that every server goes through.

176
32 Struggles of Being a Server
Guys Bite Out

If you have ever been a server at a point in your life, you know that the job has it's ups and downs, just like any other. Being a server is a way to make great money, but unfortunately with that comes serving some very difficult customers. Being a server we all face similar struggles and frustrations at our restaurants.

1. Having the table that always needs something whenever you pass by them.

"Can I get a water also? Can we have more napkins? Can we try the hotter salsa? Can I get some extra limes? Oh, I dropped my fork, can you get me another thing of silverware? Oh, now my son needs a Coke." It's tables like these that I wonder if they know that they aren't the only table I have.

2. Having a large party come in...without a reservation.

I just don't get it. If you think you're going to have a large group of people coming into a restaurant, why not just call ahead? It's quick, it's easy. If you call, there will even be a table ready waiting for you to arrive. You won't ever have to wait on a long wait list. But if you don't call ahead, please don't get pissed with me because there is a wait. I'm sorry, I wasn't the one who failed to get a reservation.

3. And that big party wants separate checks.

Nothing like splitting hundreds of dollars worth of food and drinks up into separate checks. It may be a surprise to you but doing this is very time consuming. Also if I accidentally put someone else's drink on your tab...my apologies, don't get mad. It's a little challenging to try and remember what each person ordered.

4. Having a customer that you can't understand anything they are saying.

*Customer says something about the food being good but I have not the slightest clue what they said.* Personally, I flash them a Brittney smile (maybe add a little laugh) and slowly back away. I honestly feel bad when I ask you to repeat yourself three times. I really don't want to have to ask a fourth. If you are someone who just talks quietly or has an accent, SPEAK UP! If you don't want your order screwed up tell me what you want loud and clear.

5. The customer that gets mad in an instant.

Some customers just flip out in an instant! I've been yelled at for what seems like little things. For example, I once got yelled at for telling a customer that I would have to ask the cook about their food question. These type of people need to take a deep breath (or take some anxiety meds). They need to realize that yelling at me isn't going to make food come faster or resolve an issue. Word of advice, if you are in a bad mood already and think you may have the potential of throwing a fit, maybe it isn't the best idea to eat out.

6. If the kitchen or bar messes up, you’re the one that gets yelled at.

I know it may be hard to believe, but I actually don't mix your drinks or make your food because I was in fact too busy serving you. If there is a mistake, kindly let me know and I'll fix it because I am just as surprised as you that something is wrong.

7. Don’t bother asking for a holiday off.

Hope you don't mind spending New Years Eve, the Fourth of July, Christmas Eve, Mother's Day, Father's Day or any other holiday with your coworkers. And if you work in a Mexican restaurant, good luck on Cinco de Mayo.

8. When the kitchen is backed up and there is nothing you can do to get your needy table's food.

I want to say that just because you're really hungry and impatient doesn't mean your food is going to come out any faster. You chose to come into a restaurant right at dinner rush, let's be realistic here. I understand that waiting for a long time and not knowing why your food is taking so long is annoying, that's why I like to tell you that the kitchen is backed up. If I tell you the kitchen is backed up and you're still acting like a little brat, well then, I don't feel bad that you have to wait.

9. Hearing the same old thing when you clear someone's plate: *empty plate* "Oh it was horrible."

Good one. Haven't heard that joke in the last 5 minutes.

10. Having to close the restaurant every night.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like I close the restaurant every single night. There are just some nights I feel like I have to beg to be cut early.

11. Being tired after working your shift but not being able to leave until all the side work is done.

Rolling a large basket of silverware (while being hot, exhausted and dying to go home) may possibly be a new torturing tactic.

12. When your table hails you like a taxi to get your attention.

I understand you want to get my attention because you need something but remember I do have a name. I told you it right when I walked up to the table. If you are a customer that uses my name, your table is mostly likely my favorite of the evening. I hope you know that using my name and addressing me as a human being makes me feel special and not like your personal servant.

13. When a customer pays in cash but doesn’t have enough money for a decent tip.

When someone's check is $48.60 and they give you a $50 bill and tell you to keep the change, that is the worst. No I don't want a crumpled dollar bill. I want 10 crumpled dollar bills. Simplest advise on this issue: if you don't have enough money for a tip, don't eat out.

14. Teenagers.

Don't even get me started. From being overly needy and known for being poor tippers, I'm not a fan of serving the angsty teen population.

15. A customer that orders a cheeseburger with no cheese, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, pickle, or meat.

What would you like on that burger? A bunch of modifications on a meal always scares me because I have a greater margin for screwing something up. I understand allergies where you can't have something in your meal, but when someone is just picky and doesn't want anything that comes in what they ordered...well, why did you choose to come out to eat?

16. When the hostess forgets to tell you about a table you have.

Having to walk up to a table that already wants to bite your head off because they haven't gotten service is by far the worst! From that point on I have to work extra hard to get a good tip (extra nice, extra smiley, extra attentive). As a hostess it is your job to seat customers and then tell a server that they got a new table. I do understand that accidents happen, but please try not to forget the latter portion of your job.

17. When I walk up to a table, say something, and no one answers (or even looks at me).

Hello? It's me...your server. Just trying to do my job here.

18. When you do laundry and have crusted food on your work shirt.

Nothing like the smell of week-old, crusty food on your work shirt or apron. A personal favorite of mine is getting to scrap off salsa or guacamole from my apron. Yummy.

19. Having to wear non-slip shoes.

Not only are non-slip shoes ugly and uncomfortable, they are also mandatory at some restaurants. I will attest they do work wonders when you have to walk across wet kitchen floors. Shout out to my ugly shoes for saving me from busting my butt a couple times.

20. Having a lot of pens one day and none the next.

Stocking up on these bad boys is a necessity because one day you'll have 20 pens and the next day you'll have negative three. I'm still not sure if it's the customers or coworkers that take all the pens.

21. When the feedback given doesn’t match the tip.

I hate when people compliment me on my wonderful service and then leave a tip that doesn't match their given feedback. Or there are times when I give my absolute best service to a table and they don't tip me as well as I would expect. I honestly don't know what else I could of done for these customers in order to get a better tip. Remember everyone, I make my money through tips...be kind.

22. Having to say goodbye to your weekends with friends because the best days at a restaurant are on the weekends.

Weekends at a restaurant are the busiest...it's a known fact, so don't expect to be able to have your weekends off like your friends do. I couldn't even tell you the last time I didn't work a weekend. Honestly, at this point, just say goodbye to your friends because it seems like every time I'm working my friends aren't and every time my friends are working, I'm not.

23. The table with kid(s) that create the ultimate mess and you have to clean it up.

Your kid may be the cutest in the world, but I don't appreciate the mess it leaves me. I always wonder why parents get their kid food at restaurants anyways because they don't even eat half of it. The majority of their food ends up on the floor. If you have one of these messy kids, feel free to leave a nice big tip. Also please don't let your kid run around the restaurant. I have almost tripped over children while carrying hot plates one too many times.

24. When you check on your table and everything's fine but now they want the manager.

I'm always so confused by customers who do this. You were fine a minute ago, what possibly could be wrong now? If you do have a problem with your service, food, etc. don't be afraid to address the issue with me. I am in fact your server. I want your constructive feedback.

25. When customers can’t decide what they want to order so you awkwardly have to stand hovering over them.

I'm just gonna stand here...and wait...don't mind me...just here to take your order.

26. The fight to try and get cut first after working a long shift.

Obviously it's never an actual fist fight, but some days when everyone's hot, tired, and can't take anymore customers, the tensions run high.

27. When you go to the bank with all cash and the teller is suspiciously eyeing you.

"No, ma'am, it's not what you think, I'm just a good server."

28. When people walk into the restaurant 10 minutes before close.

I probably have given a customer (at least once in my lifetime) this look when they walk in right before close. Not only do I have to now work longer, but I now can't finish my tasks in order to close the restaurant (like putting up the chairs or bringing everything to the back). If you are one of these late night eaters, be considerate and don't sit around after your meal to talk for hours.

29. When someone bumps into you while you’re carrying a tray.

Most of the time I can recover being bumped while carrying a tray. It's usually followed by a nice adrenaline rush. I will be honest, though, as a server we’ve all spilled something before. Accidents happen. My accident just happened to be spilling a full margarita on some poor women.

30. Even if the customer is wrong, they are always right.

Nothing like holding your tongue when someone is absolutely, totally wrong and putting all the blame on you. I like to remind myself that defending myself isn't going to change the customers mind/opinion (and it's not worth losing a tip to fight about it). Throw on a big smile, apologize for the mistake and fix the issue. All that matters is that I know I was right.

31. The awful (and rare) moments when you completely blank and forget to put in an order, or that you have a certain table.

The moment you realize you've really messed up feels... it feels a little bit like your heart just dropped to your feet. As the panic sets in, the race to get to your table or to the computer to put the order in feels like a marathon.

32. By the end of the night not being able to fake a laugh or a smile anymore.

I'm trying to smile...I swear.