Struggles Of Being A Diabetic

Struggles Of Being A Diabetic

The everyday hurdles of living life as a diabetic, as told by one.

371
Struggles Of Being A Diabetic
Blue Diamond Gallery

My family has a long line of diseases and illnesses which I knew would creep into my daily life at one point. But recently, I got hit with a major announcement from my doctor.

"Renju Padiyara, you have diabetes."

So now, I am limited by what I can eat, what I can do, and how I spend my time. And the following are struggles that nobody reals understands but diabetics.

1. I can't have my own birthday cake.

Cake is essential for any party or festival! Those who can eat cake are so blessed!

2. I can't be basic and get PSL or Caramel Ribbon.

As conceited and narcissistic as I may be, being basic is one of my joys in life. And now, I can't even do that because of the sugar intake from a PSL or Caramel Ribbon. The sugar-free versions are still off-limit because of the caffeine dosage in them.

3. I have to pay extra so they can perform a diabetes eye test.

One of the major organs to get hit when you have diabetes are your eyes. Because of that, optometrists charge extra to perform the dilution and cornea test for diabetics. Brace yourself for some expensive medical bills following this condition.

4. All I can eat is protein. Or dirt.

There's only so much chicken and steak I can eat. At one point, you just tire yourself out.

5. The skinny menu doesn't even work for diabetics.

What's the point of having a skinny menu or healthy menu if I can't even eat off of it? The point where I can order a piece of grilled chicken the size of my pinky is ridiculous.

6. Bedtime means bedtime.

All-nighters are not allowed anymore. To properly regulate the hormones for controlling my blood sugar levels as well as to make sure my sugar levels don't go low while awake, sleep is critical to any and all diabetics.

7. Paychecks are used on pills and crappy, healthy food.

Metformin? Glipizide? Yeah these are not drugs you can pick up like Tylenol. Insurance really comes in handy. Otherwise, either pay rent or take your pills.

8. Cheese is forbidden. That means no pizza. NO. PIZZA.

Has there ever been a sadder day? No pizza. That is the necessity of any American. Of any youth in their 20s. No pizza means eternal sadness.

9. Girl Scout cookies? What Girl Scout cookies?

Caramel delights are no longer allowed in life. As much as I want to support those delicious cookie makers, I cannot enjoy their pieces of heaven.

10. My blood pressure is higher because of the sadness of not eating delicious food.

My pressure has been relatively high considering the fact that I'm coping with not being able to eat all the delicious sweets I want and crave. Especially since chocolate will be half-off after V-Day!

11. I can't be friends with Ben & Jerry anymore.

The ultimate goodbye. I imagined being able to enjoy Rocky-Road or Jimmy Fallon's Tonight's Dough. But I part ways with my dear friend and now enemy.

Although this is not a life sentence to sadness, my life now follows a certain regiment to which I must adhere. Otherwise I will have other complications with my health. I do not wish to push the buttons on fate and so I live a very restrictive life. One of the biggest support systems I have found is that of JDRF. The resources and man-power this foundation puts into diabetes research and helping those with diabetes as a young age is truly remarkable. I highly encourage my fellow diabetics to reach out and see what kind of resources are available to you. And don't forget to register for a walk in your area!

Not everyone will inherit diabetes because of genetics, so to those out there eating like gluttons, be warned. Although this article was meant for humor purposes, the struggles are definitely real and the consequences are even more intense. Eat only one piece of chocolate!