Struggles Of Having Helicopter Parents

5 struggles of having Stricter Than Strict helicopter parents

I've started to appreciate the strict rules of my parents

156

We all have those friends who sometimes complain that their parents are on their tail about grades, curfew, or their social lives. But when you have helicopter parents, this is a whole new level of "strict"- all of these "occasional" struggles are your every day struggles, every hour of the day. While this might seem outrageous, the older I've gotten the more I've started to learn to appreciate the strict rules they've laid out my whole life. But hey don't get me wrong even as a sophomore in college I still put up with them. It never ends. Here are a few of the obstacles that I a have attempted to finesse throughout the years:

1. Secret clothes stash

When you go shopping with your friends, and buy some clothes you know your mom is not going to approve of, you start scheming the hiding process as soon as you purchase it. Because God forbid she comes across these adorable clothes, you know they're ending up in the trash. As far as going out clothes goes, you know you need to establish an entirely different secret drawer to hide them in your bedroom.

2. Find my iPhone has ruined your life

There's no such thing as secrets/trying to sneak out. Your parents know where you are at all times. You're not sure how they find the time in the day to constantly track your location, but they somehow manage. That extra stop to the gas station on your way home could look a little questionable, so you will probably expect a call. Phone calls at 4 a.m. asking why you aren't in your dorm are not anything new. Your friends tell you to simply turn off your location but that leads to an entirely new level of trouble. It's not that easy. The idea of considering buying a $40 phone from Best Buy to carry around so you can leave your phone in your dorm to avoid trouble at all costs doesn't seem all that bad.

3. 5 missed calls? More like your death sentence

Your worst nightmare is seeing 5 missed calls from mom or dad. Whether its after a night out, or waking up from a nap, you aren't sure if someone has died, or what kind of trouble you're into. You just know that you are about to get an earful for not answering the phone. Get ready to come up with a genuis excuse of why you didn't answer... Just keep in mind they have your location.

4. Boys = bad

Ever since you were little, you basically were told you weren't allowed to date.. ever. The parents want to meet every boy you "hang out with", and if you do date, they obviously have to give the stamp of approval, because they clearly don't want you galavanting around and wasting time with just any guy. He has to have allllllll the qualities your mom has preached to you since you were a kid.

5. Hanging out with friends is a rarity

When you're home, your parents cherish your existence. Being away at college was like being away at war. The three months since you have seen them last has been equivalent to ten years. When your friends want to hang, it takes a while of convincing because you always have to "spend time with the family". The grand plans of "spending time with the family" ends up actually just sitting in a room with them watching TV.. What an exciting night out with the fam! Staring at a screen together is fantastic family bonding!