12 Struggles Of Being Half Black

12 Relatable Struggles Of Being Half-Black

Straight hair me and curly hair me are two different people.

189

A mutt, a mix, not 100% anything, are some of the ways us half-black folks are labeled. Our childhood and teen years seemed like a clash of two worlds, and we sometimes wondered if we would ever fit in anywhere. Along with the struggles though, comes with the funny realization that we are all in this together. And ultimately, we are blessed to have a taste of both. From hair to music to our unique upbringing, I breakdown the 12 things we bi racial peeps had, and still have, unique to us only.

1. Hairdressers underestimating how thick your hair is.

hair salon

media.giphy.com

You got a big storm comin'. Don't let my straightened hair fool you.

2. Feeling different with straight/curly hair.

flat ironing hair

media.giphy.com

Straight hair me is more subdued and chill, while curly haired me has more flash and flare.

3. Your hair takes forever to get an ounce oily.

lisa kudrow dry hair

media.giphy.com

It can be a blessing and a curse.

4. People never guess correctly what you're mixed with.

late show with stephen colbert

media.giphy.com

Everyone guesses every other ethnicity before black. Geez, I'm not THAT pale.

5. Feeling like you don't fit in with the "white" side of your family.

confused girl with people

media.giphy.com

You know there's not going to be any greens or corn bread at the family picnic, so you mentally prepare yourself.

6. While also feeling out of place with the black side.

can't touch this martin lawrence

media.giphy.com

You feel like an oddball for some reason.

7. You practically live at the "multi-cultural" hair section at the store.

Rickey Smiley girl

media.giphy.com

You can't help but make a face when seeing Pantene, Suave, or Treseme commercials.

8. Strangers looking confused when you're out with your parent.

confused math guy

media.giphy.com

You might have gotten the "are you being kidnapped" eyes from a cashier at one point.

9. One side of your family had different lingo to keep you in line.

CBeebies

media.giphy.com

Your friends didn't understand why "I'm not one of your little friends" or "Do you think you're grown?" was so scary.

10. You heard different types of music growing up.

Earth, Wind & Fire

media.giphy.com

If I have to hear one more question of who is Earth, Wind, and Fire or the Commodores one more time, I might lose it.

22. Preferring "Everybody Hates Chris" over "Everybody Loves Raymond."

Everybody Hates Chris

media.giphy.com

The jokes hit closer to home.

12. Feeling conflicted about who you really are.

Aurora I love myself

media.giphy.com

While simultaneously feeling unique, and beautiful!