Strides of Leon Breast Cancer Walk Takes Over FAMU

Eliminating cancer as a major health problem

19

On October 23, Making Strides of Leon will be taking over cascades park. Hosted by the American Cancer Society, Making Strides of Leon breast cancer walk will continue to join countless others in their fight against breast cancer.

The American Cancer Society(ACS) is the nationwide, community-based, voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer.

Founded in 1913 and providing over 100 years of service, the American cancer society's mission remains the same. ACS has multiple geographical divisions that ensures their presence in all communities nationwide.

The goal of this organization has been to save lives and decrease the amount of individuals with cancer but they can't do it alone. Beginning on October 23rd at Cascades Park registration begins at 3 p.m. and the walk begins at 3 p.m. Participants are able to register for the walk online as well as the day of at the designated sign up tent.

“Breast cancer is something that I take very seriously because one of my closest colleagues has cancer. I strongly support this event because it shows that together anything is possible,” says Lakia Brown.

Strides of Leon is open to all individuals and groups. In addition to participating in the walk, donations are highly encouraged and greatly accepted. Community manager Kristie Teal sheds some light on what Making Strides of Leon is all about. “ Making strides walk is all about raising awareness, raising funds and celebrating breast cancer survivors. Our goal this year is to raise $180,000.”

The event will feature an opening ceremony, live shows, performances from various dance groups, live bands and much more. Cancer survivors will have a designated tent to report to where they will receive special V.I.P treatment for this event.

“I support the breast cancer walk because my aunt passed away from cancer and every woman should be informed about it. The walk is supposed to help find a cure for it so I walk every chance I get,” says Jamelah Eason.

In addition to individual participation, teams are highly encouraged to register as well as donate to the cause. Making Strides of Leon believes that everyone with breast cancer should have support no matter what and this event strives to do just that.