5 Ways To Relieve Stress

5 Ways To Relieve Stress

Because summer is for relaxation!

5
5  Ways To Relieve Stress
Bing Images

Summer. It's supposed to be a time of rest and relaxation, a time of recovery. The school year can really wipe you out-- between papers, exams, the constant trauma of having to choose between pizza rolls or sub-par dining hall cuisine. Summer is a time to live stress free.

But for some-- *cough*myself*cough*-- stress is an ever present companion, here to raise our blood pressure and inspire a headache even in sleep. But I've had enough! No more, Mr.Stress-- be gone with you.

The following list is taken from Mayo Clinic's top ten ways to relieve stress. After trying every single item on their list, I narrowed it down to my top five picks. I hope my adventures give you something to run with as you start your journey toward a stress-free summer!

1. Get active.

The Saturday after a particularly difficult week, my family and I went Kayaking. After 13 miles of fighting cross currents and incredibly strong winds, I was exhausted-- not to mention, 50 shades of red. But I will say, my good mood lasted for days after! Mayo explains that any form of activity releases endorphins. And like our beloved Elle Woods taught us, "Endorphins make you happy."

2. Eat a healthy diet.

Because honestly, you are what you eat. (Please, no comments on that big hunk of sexy you must have eaten for breakfast-- we all know you did.) I start my morning off with Greek yogurt, granola, some form of fruit and a ginger infused drink that really get my system going. The light food is filling and high in proteins, calcium and the necessary vitamins I need for a great day. The drink, recipe found here, boosts my metabolism and helps keep bloating to a minimum. When you are able to make healthy decisions, that is one less negative thing to be worried about.

3. Assert yourself.

You can only handle so much, friend. Let me rephrase-- I can only handle so much. There comes a point where you must begin saying "no" or letting things go. I find it easiest to do these things by prioritizing my commitments and must-do's. Planners are great for this (especially during school season), or even a well organized to-do list. Things run so smoothly when I know what I have to do, and what I have the time for.

4. Try yoga.

Don't laugh-- you might think yoga is simple, just for spiritual mystics who like to stretch. But think about this, how many hours of the day do you spend studying/working without really moving the muscles in your body? And how often do you say "take a deep breath" when trying to calm someone down? Well there you go, the two basic structures of yoga-- moving and breathing-- are actually necessities of both stress relief and staying alive. I've been working through 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene and even though it's kicking my butt, I'm so much more focused and relaxed.

5. Be creative.

Through music, journaling, artistic expression or even simple visualization, creative outputs allow us to relieve all of that pent up frustration. Take that negative energy and turn it in to something beautiful. Crank up the tunes in your car and drive around the back roads. Write everything out, fictitiously or factually, and pinpoint your exact concerns while working to overcome them. With this one, your limitations are as broad as your imagination.

Whatever it is you're stressing over, maybe you're just wound up in general, I hope one or two of these ideas speaks to you and helps you reclaim your summer of rest. Not only that, but reclaim your life. We can't control every detail, nor can we do it all at once-- so it's best to just let it go, let it be and enjoy the ride.

Best of luck, and if you need me I'll be running to the coffee shop with my blanket and yoga mat while eating kale, carrying a paint brush, head phones and a journal, and surrounding myself with funny people...because I'm stressed, man.