Stress + College Life

Stress + College Life

I'm coming to realize that it never gets easier, we just get better at dealing with it
4

Stress and college just seem to go hand in hand. I don't think I've ever met a college student, that wasn't dealing with stress. I'm in my sophomore year right now, and I'm coming to realize, that it never gets easier, we just get better at dealing with it. Take today for example. I was coming off a three day weekend, which should have had me relaxed, but instead I was completely stressed out. I was sitting in my psych class, and I was thinking about all of my homework assignments that are due, my two job schedules, my commitments with my campus ministry, my relationships with family and friends that I don't want to neglect,and the night shift that I have to work next week, right before taking two tests the following morning. I walked out of that class feeling like I wanted to scream and run away from life. So, what do I do when I feel stressed out? Take it from someone that's been there.

Unplug

It's so important to take a little time off from your phone every now and then, and just breathe. I like to put on some soft music, pull out of my journal, and a good devotional, and just be still for a little bit. I often get so busy that I don't make time for this, but whenever I do, I end my time off feeling so centered and peaceful.

Take a walk

There's nothing like being out in nature, whether it be by yourself, with your best friend, or with your dog. I go on hikes three times a week with my dog, Daisy, and afterwards we always get Starbucks. It's one of my favorite times of the week, because I roll all the windows down, turn on my favorite country music, and just enjoy the fresh air.

Sweat it out

Sometimes when I'm stressed I get so worked up that I don't want to relax- I want to move! When this happens, I take all of my pent up energy and emotions, and put it right into my workout. I blast my latest Spotify playlist, and give it everything I've got.

Netflix and chill

Othertimes when I'm stressed, I really just need to get away for a while. The introvert in me needs some R&R every now and then. That's why, after a long work shift, or a hard school day, I usually end my day with an episode of Friends. I dim the lights, curl up with my dog, and laugh over the same episodes that never get old to me.

Schedule mini breaks

It's frustrating to be stressed, when you know that you have about ten school projects that you need to finish as soon as possible. When this happens, I schedule "mini breaks for myself". I usually give myself a ten minute break, for every thirty minutes of uninterrupted study time that I put in. It's motivating to know that if I focus on my homework, I'll get to watch ten minutes of a Friends episode, or the latest youtube video from Apsyn + Parker.

Connect

Sometimes we just need to talk it out and have a good, quality conversation with a friend. It's so beneficial to talk it out with someone who has a listening ear to lend. I end up walking away feeling so much better about whatever it was that I was stressed out about to begin with.

How do you deal with stress?