How "Stranger Things" Resurrected The '80s

"Stranger Things" pays modern homage to Generation X film classics. (Spoilers Ahead!)

131

As the summer comes to a close, we can't help but reminisce on everything the past few months gave us. From beach trips to well worn adventures... But most importantly, let us not forget the lazy days spent just curling up under our bed covers, doing absolutely nothing but watching Netflix. Moving only to pop another bag of popcorn.

And unless you were living under a rock, it wasn't just ANY show you were binging—it was The Duffer Brothers' smash ode to the '80s thriller—"Stranger Things."

It's impossible to explain "Stranger Things" in any few words. It has absolutely everything that is needed (and has unfortunately been missing) from thriller television. A story that not only makes its characters shine, but a continuity that keeps us all at the edge of our seat. Making us look twice at that ominous blinking light bulb. Engrossing its viewers into the very mystery of the supernatural Upside Down while pushing us to see the clear and present real life humanity behind every single scene-- even the most unimaginable ones. "Stranger Things" expresses not only true stories of friendship and perseverance, but also chronicles the too close to home horror of losing a child.

But, the most striking and poignant point of the "Stranger Things" phenomena can only be expressed by my parents' pure elation over Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and Will's "banana seat" bicycles, Nancy's Lesportsac purse, Eleven's green and yellow knee high tube socks, a soundtrack sprinkled with The Clash, and Will's prospective Atari.

It's NOSTALGIA that reigns king over this Netflix classic.

Pulling 21st century kids back to discover the past, while their parents relive it. Threading together a modern throwback to Generation X with a science fiction flare.

"Stranger Things" not only lives in the '80s, but openly embraces the very media that surrounds it. Openly paralleling '80s film classics in homage to the creative inspiration that came before it.

So, in wake of the announcement of season two, lets take a look back at "Stranger Things" and its greatest recreations of '80s filmography.

"Stand By Me"

Any film buff can tell you that "Stranger Things" took many a pointer from Stephen King's film adaption of his novella, "The Body." The classic film features a group of nerdy young boys -- much like Dustin, Mike, and Lucas -- and their pursuit of answers in a coming-of-age hike across the countryside in order to find the dead body of a missing child. Much like "Stand By Me"and its rural Oregon setting, the "Stranger Things" crew live in the similar small town surroundings of Hawkins, Indiana. Yet, their missions slightly differ, as Dustin, Mike, and Lucas look to bring Will back alive, they follow a similar pattern of adventure narrative. So much so that the "Stranger Things" directors chose to film physically paralleling backdrops, like that of the train tracks, emulating one of the most iconic and familiar scenes of recent movie history.

Also, a very compelling fun fact, The Duffer Brothers requested that all the boys who auditioned for "Stranger Things" read selections from "Stand By Me."

"E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial"

Steven Spielberg's "E.T." has to be one of the most beloved science fiction films ever made, so it should come as no surprised that "Stranger Things" took some notes. In one of the series' more comical moments - the boys try to give El (Eleven) a makeover in order to sneak her inside of Hawkins Middle School, decking her out in a wig and dress that are strikingly similar to the Extra Terrestrial. They even reflect back on the iconic bike chase in reference to their escape from the pursuit of the "Bad Men." The plot itself may even find some reminiscence to "E.T." -- a lonely boy who makes friends with an other worldly being, à la Mike and his relationship with telekinetic, El.

"The Goonies"

This film, being a personal all time favorite, couldn't help but be the first that came to mind in parallelism. It was impossible for me not to see the very distinct connections between "Stranger Things" and "The Goonies." While the danger and the pathos may feel more like "Stand By Me" -- the playfulness, humor, and sense of adventure expressed by the main protagonists is undeniably "The Goonies." Both stories follow a gang of buddies going on a quest together and fighting adult adversaries with some pretty cool older siblings. (Nancy Wheeler and Jonathan Byers, anyone?) I couldn't help but even make full blown mental connections between the protagonists of "The Goonies" and "Stranger Things" -- Mike was undeniably name twin, Mikey, Lucas gave me some major Mouth vibes (Yet another Corey Feldman film parallel), and Dustin couldn't help but remind me of the ever lovable, Chunk. I mean, even the scene where Mouth bullies Chunk into doing the belly trick couldn't help but play in my head in comparison to Troy bullying Dustin into doing the thing with his arm. Let's be honest, in some alternate reality, we could imagine the "Stranger Things" and "The Goonies" kids being good friends.

And side note: Barb and Stef look so much alike. They've got the same wardrobe aesthetic going on, get dragged into a situation they don't want to be in because their best friend is in love with a cute boy... Where's the equal ending justice for Barb?

"Poltergeist"

"Poltergeist" not only gets a physical mention in the film, as we see a flashback of Joyce giving tickets to see the film to Will, but as the story unfolds, it's like they're literally living it. Will, much like Carol Anne, is quite literally taken to another dimension (the Upside Down) which is not only dark and scary, but is inhabited by a terrible monster (the Demogorgon). Will is also only able to communicate through electronic devices -- the walkie talkie transmission El is able to pick up and through the lights in order to contact his mother -- and through the wall. Also, as they come out of the Upside Down they are covered in goo, much like the escape from the alternate world of "Poltergeist."

John Carpenter

John Carpenter is arguably one of the greatest masters known to the horror film genre, so its easy to see why horror thriller "Stranger Things" would want to emulate such a classic fright fest. One of Carpenter's films, "The Thing" is shown physically playing in the background of the ever dependable, Mr. Clarke's home, when Dustin calls to find out how to build a sensory deprivation tank. (I can't be the only one whose favorite line is, "Why are you keeping this curiosity door locked?") Also, the Demogorgon's opening flower-head type face can definitely draw some serious parallels to the dog featured in "The Thing." But even more so, you can't help but draw similarities between the score of "Stranger Things" and John Carpenter's filmography -- its plinky plonky electric type music never ceasing to give us chills.

"Carrie"

Although this film adaption of the Stephen King horror is technically more late '70s than '80s, it still fits in our Generation X and deserves a very honorable mention. The Duffer Brothers have been very heavily quoted in their personal paralleling between their work and that of King. So, when introduced to El, a young female telekinetic, we can't help but also connect her to another famous pop culture telekinetic. El and Carrie not only share the same mental abilities, but are also largely benevolent and just want to be left to some peace and kindness, despite their powers being too great and sometimes completely out of their own grasp of control.

Another very important comparison that must be drawn is that of the abuse El and Carrie both face at the hands of their single parents.

In Carrie's case, her mother Margaret is a religious extremist that has quite obviously abused Carrie throughout her entire young life. Physically and emotionally. Margaret locks Carrie away for having her period for the first time (saying it is a reflection of "sinful thoughts"), telling her to pray for forgiveness.

While El, who was taken from her birth mother and locked away in Hawkins Labs is given Dr. Martin Brenner as a father figure. Brenner constantly abuses and tortures El through the multitude of experiments conducted on her. He is the one that forces her to go back into the Upside Down and make contact with the Demogorgon in order to release it in the first place. Brenner uses emotional manipulation in establishing himself as her "father" to force her into experimentation. Even worse --the physical. When El doesn't do exactly what he wants, she is left being dragged away by lab technicians, kicking and screaming for Brenner's help, only to be locked away in a tiny confinement as means of mental torture.

"V"

Now, to address the elephant in the room -- the infamous "Stranger Things" opening credits. We do know for a fact from the admission of The Duffer Brothers, that they did send Stephen King's '80s novels to the design house to inspire the creators of the logo... However, there is also a filmography reference we can infer from another horror mini series. The opening credits of the '80s alien invasion series "V" introduces an ominous synth pulsing away as the camera pulls from a red-on-black letter V (watch the opening credits here!) ... Now, rewatch the "Stranger Things" credits (which you can find here!) Sound familiar?

So now that we've been through this in forensic detail, walking round and round with our walkie-talkies and compasses, all that's left to do is curl back up under the covers, pull up "Stranger Things" on Netflix, and keep our conspiracy theories going until we find ourselves in the very same situation with season two next summer.