11 Reasons "Super 8" Is A Must-See For All "Stranger Things" Enthusiasts

Perfect for the in-between-seasons funk.
3791

October 27th, 2017.

If you are like me, this date is extremely important to you. Why? The new season of the Netflix Original Series "Stranger Things" is being released.

I've been feeling blessed by the Netflix gods since it's a Friday, so I can binge watch the entire season without feeling guilty about not doing any work. (Although let's be real... who actually feels badly when they do that?) I'm beyond pumped for this new season. Honestly, I'm not sure I can wait any longer! If you share my excitement and don't know if you can make it to October 27th, have no fear.

There is a movie that can help fill the void we all have for a great coming-of-age SciFi adventure. The title of this incredible movie? "Super 8."

The film premiered in 2011 and, despite it having huge names involved in the making, such as director J.J. Abrams and producer Steven Spielberg, it did not get the hype that I think it deserved. When "Stranger Things" came out on Netflix, I was ecstatic. The premise of the show mirrors that of the 2011 film, and since I watched "Stranger Things" to aid my "Super 8" withdrawal (I am high key obsessed with that movie - I saw it in the theater at least five times and have the movie poster up in my room), I think that "Super 8" could do the same for those needing a little somethin' somethin' in the days leading up to the new season of "Stranger Things."

So, without further ado, here are 11 (yes, I did add one extra after thinking of 10 simply to throw in a "Stranger Things" pun) reasons all "Stranger Things" fans should watch "Super 8."

1. The Film is Incredible

The first and most obvious reason? This movie is dope as hell. J. J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg are not household names for nothing, and "Super 8" is no exception to the amazing works they have produced. There is a great balance of action, comedy, tragedy, and a little bit of romance. It's pretty much anything anyone could want in a movie, so why wouldn't you watch it?? Okay, okay, so I am a little biased since I am admittedly obsessed. Don't believe me? Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an 82% (this is 22% more than what the website has deemed "a good review", so that is a pretty great rating).

2. Plot

The plot of "Super 8" is extremely similar to that of "Stranger Things" but different enough that it isn't boring. While the Netflix show follows a group of somewhat dorky Dungeons-and-Dragons-playing middle schoolers (no hate on D and D) on an adventure, "Super 8" follows six film-making middle school nerds as they investigate some weird happenings in their small town. Sound familiar?

3. Time Period

A huge aspect of "Stranger Things" that turns people on to watching it is its early 80s time period. "Super 8" takes place in 1979, so it has the same vibe. Exciting, right?

4. Character Chemistry

Everyone who watched "Stranger Things" loves all the characters. The actors all do fantastic jobs of making Mike, Eleven, Will, Dustin, and Lucas super lovable and relatable. The characters in "Super 8" have that same coming-of-age, funny, relatable thing going for them that makes them just as lovable. The six friends in the movie are constantly ripping on each other and watching it gets you super invested, as you can tell the actors had a great time filming it together. That "Stranger Things" character chemistry is present in "Super 8."

5. Cinematography

A lot of the great film techniques used in the show are also used in the movie. For example, a lot of Eleven's past comes about in flashbacks. This same technique is used for the film's main character, Joe Lamb. Little details like this along with similar prop use (cue the retro bikes) brings about the same feeling while watching both medias.

6. Script

The way "Stranger Things" is written makes the show feel very real. Meaning, what characters may say sounds like things real-life humans would say, too. The genuineness in the script makes a very out of the ordinary situation feel real to the audience, and "Super 8's" script provides this same experience.

7. Aesthetic

Like a true millennial, I am obsessed with things being aesthetically pleasing. "Stranger Things" has a very cool aesthetic, with the retro costumes and props being tied together with the small town setting and the lighting throughout the scenes. "Super 8" has an aesthetic that mirrors this one, and that makes me very happy.

8. Acting

No one can talk about "Stranger Things" without addressing the incredible performances of Winona Ryder (Joyce Byers) and David Harbour (Jim Hopper). The two actors both do awesome jobs of portraying the distressed mother and the concerned cop. In "Super 8," another power-duo of Kyle Chandler (Jackson "Jack" Lamb) and Ron Eldard (Louis Dainard) make a huge impact on the film with their powerful portrayals as the parents of two of the children in the film. Every film or TV show is only as good as its worst actor, and both of these casts are phenomenal.

9. Soundtrack

In the Netflix Original, the songs "Should I Stay of Should I Go" by the Clash and other classics are featured to tie together the time period along with making the soundtrack fire. "Super 8" also has some slaps on its track such as "My Sharona" by the Knack. Both will leave your head bobbing to some sick jams.

10. Perfect for Fall

It's October, my dudes! That means that it is time to get a little spooky. Halloween is just around the corner, and we are all ready for some of those creepy "Upside-Down-Demogorgan" vibes. "Super 8" can provide those in a time where the leaves are changing but the episodes aren't (no matter how much I refresh Netflix, the new season doesn't just magically appear... rude).

11. Movie Time

Best part of "Super 8"? You get the satisfaction of watching "Stranger Things" without the investment. You don't have to spend an entire Saturday to get the pleasure of likable, relatable characters because it's a movie, not a series! It is perfect for this weird limbo between seasons, so what are you waiting for?