A Story of Shame and Doughnuts

A Story of Shame and Doughnuts

I have been laughed at over this too many times.

14

This happened last year. One day, the Native American Longhouse was selling doughnuts as part of a fundraiser. While it was going on, I started a long run from the school gym which is right next to the Longhouse. As I was running past, one of my friends who works there yelled out, “Hunter, come buy a doughnut!” I replied, “maybe after this run!” I continued on and ran off campus for a while then came turned around and came back. As I was passing the doughnut stand again, she was still there so I slowed down and she said, “I paid for a doughnut for you! Come get it when you’re done.” I was pretty excited. I killed it on that run and I was ready to undo any of the good things that I just did for my body by tearing into a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

When I was running, I was wearing a green shirt (this is important). I ran back to the gym, showered and changed into clean clothes (and an orange shirt, GO BEAVS) and left to go get my hard-earned doughnut. As I approach the table I saw a guy who was in soccer gear and a green workout shirt go up to the table just before me. My doughnut-offering friend is nowhere to be seen. He asks, “Hey, is Michaela here?” She’s my doughnut-offering friend. The girl at the table now says, “No, sorry you just missed her! But she bought a doughnut for you.” The guy is visibly shocked. From his excited mutterings and mannerisms it seemed like he just wanted to say hi to someone he had not seen in a while, so how would she have prepared for his arrival with a fresh glazed doughnut? The girl at the table then said words I’ll never forget. She said, “Yeah, I mean she said to give it to the running guy in the green shirt.” Again, this guy was in soccer gear and a green shirt. Big, stupid me is less than a yard away in an orange shirt and clean clothes.

My first instinct was to go, “hey, wait, that’s mine!” I mean, it was. I was the green shirt running guy. I knew there was a doughnut for me. But, how could I possibly argue my case in this situation? Plus, I have the same amount of confidence in my ability to be confrontational as I have for a burrito to cure cancer. So, I reserved myself and clenched my fist in good ol’ Arthur fashion and watched the guy walk away with my prize. How could I let this happen to me? Since I was right there, as soon as he turned around the girl asked me if I would like a doughnut as well. To be honest, I’m not even that into doughnuts. I was only getting it because my friend so kindly got it for me. I didn’t want it anymore since green shirt guy destroyed everything I ever stood for, right before my eyes. What was my response to her? “Yes, please.” I paid for that doughnut and I ate the heck out of it with the greatest feeling of shame and sadness washing over me.

Learn from my mistakes. Don’t change your shirt. Ever.