Your Story Isn't Over Yet

Your Story Isn't Over Yet

The meaning behind the semicolon project.

5287
Your Story Isn't Over Yet

Recently, semicolon tattoos have become a trend. While they look cool, there is a bigger meaning behind them. It all started with one woman who got a tattoo of a semicolon and decided to start a movement with it.

Amy Bluel, the founder of the Semicolon Project, wanted to get a tattoo to honor her father. According to the Project Semicolon website, she decided to get a semicolon to symbolize "the struggle of depression, addiction, self-injury. and suicide, and their will to continue on." As the project gained a following, it became so important to many people. It became more than just a tattoo honoring her father, it turned into a symbol of hope. It meant that it was not the end, and life could continue on even though someone may be struggling with these issues.

The Semicolon Project is having a huge impact. This past week, September 7-13, was Suicide Awareness week. The project helps raise awareness of suicide and depression and the individuals who may be affected. According to their mission statement, the project exists to encourage, love, and inspire, and that's exactly what they are doing for people all over the world. It is helping more people reach out and talk about their struggles. On the website, they have a section called "Hope Is Alive." Here, people tell their stories about their struggles with depression, addiction, self-injury, or suicide, whether it be about themselves or someone they are close to. You can also share your own story on social media by using #hopeisalive. Brooke, a student at the University of Akron, shared her story in a blog post on Tumblr. There are so many ways for someone to share their story, and the Semicolon Project helped people feel comfortable enough to start sharing theirs.

The project and tattoo means different things to different people. For some. it symbolizes hope for a brighter future. For some, it is a reminder that they made it through rough times and that it's possible to make it through. According to Brooke, she got her tattoo "to have a constant reminder to continue my journey no matter what life throws at me." There are so many ways to showcase a semicolon tattoo, whether it be watercolor, or something nautical like Brooke's. It's very easy to find a tattoo that speaks to you. Even if you're not interested in the tattoo aspect, the meaning behind it is something great.

The Semicolon Project is something that is near to my heart. Even though I don't have a tattoo (yet), I love the message behind the movement. I believe that the world should be more open to talking about these issues, and this project is opening up new doors for that. I am proud to say that I am a supporter and want to help others see the message behind it.

The semicolon is used when the author could have ended the sentence, but chose to continue it. This makes it a powerful symbol to use for this project. The author is you, and the story is your life. Your story isn't over yet, you still have a lot of life left to live.