When The Storms of Life Hit Hard

When The Storms of Life Hit Hard

Seek God, Find Peace.

276
When The Storms of Life Hit Hard
assembly hub

Sometimes we get caught up in the everyday flow of life, and for some of us, it feels like complete chaos. It's almost as if we have been placed right smack in the eye of a storm. We are all alone, the winds are raging, waves crashing all around us...and no one else is to be found. It's in those moments we feel like we are at our lowest. Those moments where you can see, hear or feel God, you're caught in a storm you can't escape. It is in these moments when we begin to stress and worry about things that really don't need worrying. In Philippians 4:6 it is said that we are not to worry or be anxious about anything.

So, you find you're caught up in the storms of life, whether this means you having so much on your plate you barely have time to breath, or you're having to deal with troubles within your family or trying to make this relationship work out...whatever your personal storm may be; trust me, we are all going through our own little storms. There are many times in our life when we let our uncertainties of the future turn into anxiety, and it completely consumes our every thought, movement and motive on the daily. But the awesome thing is, we don't have to let it get to that point. We have an amazing God who knows exactly what is to come, and all we have to do is trust in Him. This is SO SO SOOO much easier said than done, but I assure you it is SO SO SOOO SOOO worth it in the end.

Right now it may feel like you're treading water, struggling to keep your head up, just barely gasping for air. You feel like you can't handle this, and guess what? You can't! Not alone that is. Have you ever had someone say to you...

"God will never put you through something you can't handle."

I think we have all heard this at some point in our lives, and we all find it to be true to an extent. I have had so many people tell me this, but I disagree. I believe that God doesn't hold back, God will give you way more than you can handle. Not because He wants to punish you, not because you've been a "bad Christian," and not because He wants to see you fail. God will sometimes give us more than we can handle, so that we will push into Him, and rely on Him and His strength to pull us through.

10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that, at last, you renewed your concern for me.Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Philippians 4:10-13

In this passage, we see the illustration of Paul's journey through a life of triumph and failure, and the conclusion he makes. See, we get caught in these storms, and we get into these spiritual ruts, because He wants us to see Him. It doesn't matter if you're on the best spiritual high or the worst spiritual low, whether you succeed or fail, God is no closer or further from you in any of those moments. When you put your faith and trust fully in God and you rely on Him through every situation you will find satisfaction in whatever life throws at you next. And that is where we find our peace in the storm.

So how can we do what Paul did?

HOW? Well, the answer is pretty simple...prayer.

If you're anything like me you kinda get nervous when you read that word "prayer." OR you read that word and think, "That's never worked for me." See the thing about prayer is it isn't always about asking for what you want. It's about coming to God and presenting to Him your requests. "...in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." We are told to come to God with our request in thanking Him and praising Him, and for what reason you may ask?

"Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Matthew 11:28-30

Just those three simple words... "Come to me..." God is asking us to come to Him with everything all so that we may receive rest in Him. To give us Peace.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus"

Philippians 6:7

Here He clearly presents to us for the second time... If we come to Him with thanks and praise, with prayers, presenting to Him our requests, we will receive peace. Peace in God is such an amazing thing, and we all have that option to let go of all our burdens, our worry, our anxiety, to give it all to Him and receive that peace.

It says that when we receive the peace of God our hearts and minds are then protected by Him, and in that, we will then understand His ways in time. His ways "transcend all understanding." The truth is we don't understand and we don't know His plan for us, and we never will until we learn to sit in the silence, be still, and listen and as Proverbs 3:5 states "lean not on our own understanding." It is then when His work begins, and when we can receive the peace which he so graciously offers unto us.

When we worry, and we stress, and become anxious with uncertainty, letting the storms of life overtake us, we often go to God begging him for help, but our focus and our intent isn't there. It's in that moment when we have unrealistic expectations that God is just going to pull us straight up out of the water and fix our problems or give us straight answers. We are SO wrong. He does the complete opposite.

28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

29 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down.33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

Peter doubted God. He was walking on water to Jesus, but he let all of his worry, anxiety, and uncertainty take over his mind. He lost focus on what was important and he let the storm get the best of him. Now, Jesus pulled Peter from the water, but only after he called out to him for help. If we lose our focus and let our fear of what is to come get the best of us, we aren't trusting God. If we want to receive God's mercy, and love and peace we must put our full trust in him. God is in control, he knows what he is doing even when we don't know.

We can't put expectations on a God of whom we have no way of understanding. All we can do is put our focus on Him by praying, and trusting and listening and leaning on Him. It is then which we find peace...in the silence...and in His presence.

When we put our trust and our faith in him, fully. Letting him take control of our lives. Relying on His strength and not our own we will find peace in every situation...we will find "the peace in the storm."

So I urge you to think about where you cast your anxiety and your worry. Take time tonight to pray to God, take to Him your request and find your peace...and always remember you can't worry and worship at the same time...especially when you're caught in a storm.