Why We Need To Stop Telling And Start Talking

Telling leads to nothing. Talking leads to change.

367
Going English

Nowadays, we all seem to be social and connected. With social media outlets, cell phones, computers and other electronics, we are able to see what everyone else is doing at all times. The uploading, commenting, liking and sharing is absolutely endless. It is the new way of updating the world on what you are doing and wanting them to see it.

We are all "telling" everyone about something. But, are we really having meaningful conversations and talking?

People have argued on both sides of the aisle when it comes to social media's impact on conversation. Some say that more opinions, debates and information is being spread around, giving us new access that we didn't previously have. Others say that people are just "telling" and do not truly engage in stimulating conversations that actually matter.

I think that the second point is where I stand. Today's society and online culture is based upon your every move and having a life that makes others envious. People are constantly craving attention and praise on their edited pictures or funny statuses. This topic has come up time and time again by those in every generation.

However, I think we need to go a step further and make sure this article is not one that just "tells."

Social media has shown us that there is so much going on in the world. This, in turn, means that most of us have diverse opinions on what is happening around us. Whether it be a local event, politics, court cases or various stories on anything that makes us question our morals/stances; we all have to think about these things. These examples of quick information is good for us, as being informed and having things to "talk" about is always a win-win.

There are so many people who upload a status about how they feel about one of these trending stories, but do we all bring them up to others around us? Is there lively, in-person discussion about the scheduling of drugs or Brock Turner or religion?

Can those that are always on social media stand up and have a voice in front of a crowd?

The answer to these questions needs to turn into "yes." If we want our opinions to truly be enhanced and well-rounded, we need to start talking and stop focusing on the meaningless followers. We need to learn how to embrace the power of speech and not be afraid and only "tell" everyone on the internet.

Let's change the way society views certain people, situations or topics.

Let's change our levels of self-worth and confidence by learning how to talk to anyone about anything, in a polite manner, without repercussions.

Let's accept opinions and truly value someone's initiative to speak up in order to influence the conversation for the better.

And in the end, we will have a population that is not afraid to change the world.

A connected world is one that "talks," not "tells."