Stop Taking Advantage Of My Kindness

Stop Taking Advantage Of My Kindness

Even the nicest people have their limits.

2070
Stop Taking Advantage Of My Kindness

I'm just kind of tired of being used. And taken advantage of. It seems like no one really sees the value of a genuinely kind and caring person anymore. We're hard to find, you know-cherish us while you can.

But seriously. No one told me that being "Mr. Nice Guy/Girl" would mean I'd get walked all over. No one told me that people would take my kindness for granted. No one told me that I'd keep giving until I was empty and had nothing left to give, only to realize that I had received nothing in return.

I mean, it's not like I expect anything in return. Because I don't! It brings me happiness to bring others happiness, and to know that I contributed to their well-being. It really does. I live to please other people. I knew from the very start that my purpose on this earth was to bring light into other peoples' lives. I find joy in lifting people up. I wouldn't do what I've been doing if I didn't love it or didn't see a purpose in it. But I have to admit, it gets exhausting putting all of your time and effort into people that don't seem to really care.

No matter how hard it is to keep my eyes open, I'll stay up at 3 a.m. to listen to a friend that needs someone to talk to. Even when I'm busy, I'll take the time to be the messenger between two people to resolve an argument. And on my bad days, I still remind everyone in my life that I love them. But how often is it that people will do the same for me? A lot of times, when it's my turn to be that person that needs cheering up, I look around and no one is there. Everyone is just too busy, just too tired, just too preoccupied with their own lives to give me a little bit of their time. And that sucks. Because yes, I too, need a shoulder to lean on sometimes. I'm not a robot; I have feelings. I have good days and I have bad days and I feel anger and sadness and elation and frustration, just like everyone else. I hate saying it but, I need people be there for me too. I can't do this alone. I smile on the outside but on the inside sometimes, I'm emotionally drained. And no one notices.

A lot of times, I wonder how other people can get away with treating me like this without feeling guilty about it. Do they know what it's like to feel like a backup option, or to be put aside as if they're not worthy of being someone's priority? I can't get my mind around it, but then I remember that it's none of my business anyway. How other people live their lives should not and will not affect you unless you let them. An entire sea cannot sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity from other people can't bring you down unless you let it get inside you.

Sometimes you just have to open your eyes a little and realize that some relationships in your life will be one-sided. And that's okay. You served a purpose in someone's life and they served a purpose in yours. It's okay to move on past that. It's not selfish. If you want to be truly happy in life, you have to live for you and only you. Because at the end of the day, you and your faith will be all you have left. You are in no way, shape, or form required or obliged to stay in someone's life if you don't want to. It might sound awful when I say it, but it's true. You have to do what makes YOU happy and what YOU think is best, regardless of what others say.

So if you relate to where I'm coming from and have gone through the same thing, just know that I'm with you. I completely understand. First of all, shoutout to you for being so kind. But being a sweet spirit doesn't mean you have to let everyone walk all over you, because even the kindest people have to stand up for themselves when they need to.

Sometimes you need to walk away, not to make someone realize how worthy you are, but for YOU to understand and acknowledge your own self-worth.