Take A Second And Breathe It In

Take A Second And Breathe It In

Sometimes you forget to stop and smell the roses

23
Take A Second And Breathe It In
Annika Soderfelt

We are getting to that point of the year: Allergies, finals, tax season, and so much more. It all piles up until you feel like you can't balance anymore on your plate. I'm here to tell you, that's okay. You can do anything in the world, but you can't do everything, and there's nothing wrong with that. Trust me when I say, you're not alone. We are all going through our own things in our own way, and it makes us all uniquely human. I can't pretend to know everything about the human psyche or even a little about everyone's situation. So, take everything I'm going to say with a grain of salt, and, if you think it'll help, utilize it.

I'm a huge proponent of journaling. I know it is an absolute chore, but it is SO cool to look back at what you were doing on different days years apart. It also helps give an extraordinary level of perspective on who you are as a person, and how you've changed. I keep two journals. The first is one that I simply write about my day. More times than not, I end up using it as an unbiased place to vent, but it's still nice. I also have what I call a Rose Journal.

The title is meant to pay homage to the phrase "Stop and smell the roses". Every day, I put one or two things that make me happy. On days when I feel like nothing is going right, I can simply look back at all the times I've been brought joy. It's a super fun way to be introspective, and, in a way, it forces you to find the positives rather than fixate on the negative.

Journaling works for me, but, anything from going on a slow walk to doing a big puzzle will make it that much easier to slow down and breathe it all in.