Women, stop shaming women for their clothing choices
Lifestyles

Women, please stop shaming women for what they choose to wear

If you don't like it, don't look

445
Adam Kontor/Pexels

I've seen a couple of Odyssey articles floating around in recent weeks shaming women for what they choose to wear during the hot summer months.

I'm getting real sick of women shaming other women telling them it's not "classy" to wear a bikini because their butt cheeks are hanging out.

Guess what? If you don't like seeing another woman's butt cheeks, you don't have to look.

It's not your life choice, not your decision, not your business.

We live in a society where it's perfectly OK for men to run around shirtless, but when a woman who feels confident enough to wear a bikini or a shirt where *gasp* her NIPPLES are visible, or there's so much *cleavage,* she's suddenly "irresponsible" and "careless" for showing off too much skin.

First of all, this goes back to the patriarchal mindset and sexist views we have towards women.

If a woman feels confident enough, she has every right to wear that top or those bikini bottoms.

Now, when it comes to posting pictures on social media, should they upload photos of themselves? Well, it depends. For me, I would choose not to upload certain photos of myself because of my profession. That's my personal choice because I'm aware of the consequences it could have on my future job prospects.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the sexist society we live in.

It's not a moral failure for a woman to feel good about herself and her body.

I'm not going to let my personal choice have an impact on another women's personal choice to post pictures half-naked pictures of herself on social media. That's her decision, not mine.

If you know that your employer/career field would disapprove of you sharing photos of yourself in a bikini or low-cut top on social media, maybe not the best idea to do it, but again, that's your choice and you are aware of the consequences/ramifications it could have on your professional life.

What I'm tired of is women being shamed for their clothing/lack of clothing choices by both men and women.

An important side note: Even a woman is walking around with nothing but pasties on her nipples or nearly nothing at all, it is not an invitation for someone to talk to them, touch them or come near them. I feel like this has to be said often.

Again, if you don't like what another woman is wearing, don't look. Her buttcheeks or the pasties on her nipples aren't hurting your life in any way, shape or form. Just go about your business and worry about your own life.