Stop 'Sending Thoughts and Prayers' To Celebs Who Are Struggling And Start Helping Those Around You

The celebs can get the help they need much easier than those struggling around us.

48

It seems so incredibly common. A celebrity overdoses, relapses, or heads to rehab. And what do we do? We take to social media and send our "thoughts and prayers" to them. But what does that do? Nothing.

Nothing but hurt those around you who are struggling just as much, or even worse. Yet they get overlooked, and sit there, screaming internally for someone to get them the help they need.

What many people don't understand is that while I wholeheartedly understand that celebrities struggle too, is that it is much easier for them to get the help they need. They are constantly surrounded by resources and are prioritized when needed immediate help.

However, there is a whole segment of society surrounding us that struggle with those same exact issues. But they don't get the help they need.

To these people, resources are few and far between. Very few options exist for these individuals, and they feel out of control and backed into a corner. And what do we do? Nothing.

If we do anything, it is usually pushing them farther away from us.

Why do we do this? We praise and support celebs on how strong they are, but when someone we know faces the same battles, we look at them as crazy, insecure, and just flat out insane.

It comes down to this: we do not see the reality of mental illness in celebrities. We only see the "media" version.

On the other hand, those struggling around us, we see the reality. The endless nights crying into our pillows. The constant need for reassurance and someone to talk to.

And just how hard it is to find someone to bear with you and help you.

When it comes down to it, getting help is hard. Really hard. So stop "sending thoughts and prayers" over Twitter, and reach out to a friend in need. They will love you forever if you do.