Stop Saying You Need To Find Someone Who "Makes You Happy"

You shouldn't be looking for someone who simply makes you happy.

1301
Tumblr

People want to be around other people; people crave to not be alone. When it comes to defining criteria and finding people to surround yourself with, especially a significant other, finding someone who makes you happy often shoots to the top of the list.

It shouldn't. In fact, finding someone who makes you happy should not even be on the list.

Finding someone who makes you happier, should.

As a society, we're consumed with finding people who are capable of making us happy before we even give ourselves the chance to. We are dependent on others, although we are perfectly capable of being finding happiness independently. The bottom line? We'd rather go it with someone who can supply us this necessary happiness than figure out a) how to make ourselves happy, b) actually go through the process of making ourselves happy and c) make sure we're actually happy. We want someone there to feed us this happiness with a silver spoon.

Finding happiness, in general, is a big deal. That's why finding someone who makes you happier than you already are, not just happy, is also a big deal. A lot of people make us feel happy for a moment, but do they make us happier than we are alone, for longer than a moment? Don't fork over your time for people who give you half-assed happiness. Surround yourself with a happy person who makes you happier than you've ever known.

Learn to be happy alone, then find someone who adds this to this happiness double — even triple. And never forget to return this happiness back. It's just as important to be able to make the other person happier, not just happy. Give a little more than you get, even. But focus on yourself first and foremost. Then, move forward.

So don't completely cross "makes me happy" off your list. Cross off "happy," write in "happier," and don't settle for a cent less than that. You're worth so much more.

Makes me happy happier.