Why I Refuse To Wish Someone 'Good Luck'

I'm sick and tired of reading offers of good luck.

1102

Amidst the season of change, of high school and college graduations, of weddings and baby showers galore, I've found myself writing out card after card expressing warm wishes and sentiments to friends. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm very particular about cards. They have to express exactly how I'm feeling. Whether it's a 'happy birthday' card or a 'you survived your GRE exam without crying' card, I need it to express my sentiments exactly.

However, I'm often frustrated with the amount of cards that say 'good luck' in them. I'm sick and tired of reading offers of good luck. Luck isn't going to be guiding me forward. Luck isn't going to be there at three in the morning when I'm weighing the pros and cons for the millionth time on my next career move. Luck isn't going to find me the perfect partner, and luck isn't going to save a crumbling relationship no matter how much I want it to.

I refuse to say 'good luck' because, to me, it's insulting. To say, 'good luck' takes away all responsibility, ownership, and accountability to the person completing the action. 'Good luck' can be translated to, 'don't worry about actually doing much, luck will take over and you'll be fine."

Instead, I choose to say, "I wish you the best of happiness and success." That is a good wish for somebody- that at least implies some ownership over your actions. I often add, "I pray that you continue to move forward without fear of the future, growing from both your mistakes and your successes." Nothing good was every received easily- and to me, saying 'good luck' just doesn't get that message across.

Amidst the season of change, of high school and college graduations, of weddings and baby showers galore, I urge you to reconsider what you may say to people to encourage them in their next stage of life. Words have a lot of power, especially when they come from loved ones. Your sentiment may just be the push of extra encouragement someone needs.