A Letter To Halloween Haters From A Girl Who Loves Halloween

We get it. You're that bitter person who hates the cat costume, the slutty bunny, and those sorority girls dressed as Harley Quinns. You would rather see twelve purple balloons stuck onto someone's body as a bunch of grapes or see your friend dressed as that one supporting character from that one movie you and five other on this planet know about.

And despite my condescending tone of voice in the previous paragraph, there is nothing wrong with these preferences for Halloween costumes. There is nothing wrong with taking the more traditional route, nor choosing stand out from your cohorts.

There is something wrong with, however, people bashing on others' self-expression - especially when nothing is offensive. There is no question that some questions are more revealing that others, and we can easily tell when people devote their creative juices into creating something one-of-a-kind. We praise the idea of never judging a book by its cover, but Halloween is, without a doubt, a time when we analyze personalities based on how people dress for a small sliver of the year.

It is probably safe to say that we (not just females) seek attention for the more skin we show. It may also be fine to bet others prefer to be noticed for their creativity rather than their bodies. These (over)generalizations could be accurate, or they could be us completely overthinking Halloween costumes.

Either way, this does not justify us to portray hate on others for their self-expression. We have to be aware of the very fine line of how costumes could be offensive, but think about the reasons as to why seem to hate, not just make assumptions on, the (yes, basic) cat costume. Based on our "logical" thinking, if you see that girl dressed as a slutty bunny to be a slut in real life, we should see you as a judgmental human being who refuses to take account the person's personality.

My point is that we need to stop bringing negativity into the beginning of the holiday season. There is already too much hate with public policy and crime. In college, why can't we just push all of that aside to make the most out of Halloweekend(s)? Treat yourself to some good memories instead of tricking yourself into bashing on others'.

Sincerely,

A shameless girl who dressed as a bunny