Stop Guilting Girls For Being Proud Of Their Bodies

If she wants to wear a cheeky bikini, then that's none of your damn business.

119
Highsnobiety

Over the summer, I've seen a number of articles on this site commenting on the female body. Whether it's about the validity of wearing cheeky bathing suit bottoms or not being a fan of the body positivity movement in general, it seems like everyone has an opinion on what women should do with their own bodies. Far too often it seems that people think if women don't like the way they look, that simply changing their appearance is the easy and perfect solution.

Well, it's not that easy for everyone.

I'll use myself as an example. I have a condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS. It's basically a hormonal disorder that can cause my ovaries to form cysts. One of the symptoms of this disease is that my body makes an excess of male hormone, which in turn, makes it harder for me to lose weight.

Because of the effects of this disorder, I do not have much body confidence and am often embarrassed by how I look. I'm self conscious of my body, even though I try my hardest to love myself while at the same time trying to live a healthier lifestyle. But if a stranger took a look at me in a revealing dress, they might just see a chubby girl trying to get attention.

You can't tell I have PCOS just from looking at me. You don't know what medical condition someone has or what health struggle they are going through. Maybe that girl wearing a skimpy bikini or low-cut dress is just getting over major body image issues, and you have no right to judge that girl based on what you think you know about them.

Men are not the only ones guilty of shaming women who wear what they want. The two articles mentioned above were both written by women, and to me, that's the exact opposite of progress.

As women, we have to build each other up, not shame them for loving their own bodies.Body positivity is for everyone, not just overweight women. It's not about promoting an unhealthy lifestyle; it's about helping people accept themselves.

If a "skinny" or "fit" girl wants to wear a cheeky bikini bottom at the beach, then she should be able to without having people say she's looking for attention from guys. More often than not, women wear what they wear for themselves, not for the enjoyment of men.

Nowadays, low self-esteem is commonplace, especially with girls our age. Most girls are told they aren't good enough in some way, and the girls that actually do have confidence are labelled as vain or self-centered. It's a double-edged sword that has grown to be damaging for how women see themselves.

No woman should feel guilty for the clothing that they put on their body. Whether they are size 00, size 8, or size 18, that woman has every right to feel comfortable and beautiful without being judged by the masses.