Why You Should Stop Forcing Teenagers Into College

Everyone deserves to be a genius.

56
VeryWell

The funny thing about college is that the only thing that seems to matter is your GPA. It doesn't seem to matter how many real-life skills you have or how many life-changing experiences you have. No, none of that seems to matter.

However, your GPA doesn't define you, and society needs to stop putting so much pressure on it.

On college in general:

In my experience, anybody with a GPA lower than a 3.0 is seen as lazy, a slacker, and just plain unintelligent. How is this even fair? There are many different types of people. Some are meant to go to college, and some are meant to skip it. Some are meant to excel in their chosen major, and some haven't found their place yet. How is it fair to call the person with a 2.5 GPA unintelligent? Just because the person had a rough time in school or just in a few classes doesn't make them unintelligent. The world wouldn't be the way it is if everyone was a 4.0-GPA student, or even if everyone went to college.

Think about it. If Mark Zuckerberg didn't drop out of Harvard, we wouldn't have Facebook. If Ellen DeGeneres hadn't dropped out of college, she probably wouldn't have her own talk show right now.

So here it is, an explanation as to why college isn't for everyone and how society needs to stop putting pressure on everyone to go to college.

“Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend it’s whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

That's just it. Countless college students feel lost and helpless because they feel stupid. They feel stupid because they do not understand the material shoved down their throats. If a student never actually wanted to go to college, how do you expect them to learn? They should have free reign to pursue whatever they want to do, and be good at it. They deserve to be geniuses.

The world is full of geniuses. The definition of genius from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary is, "a person who is very good at doing something."

That definition by itself stands to prove my point. A genius is just someone that is really talented at what they do. A plumber can be a genius, a doctor can be a genius, and a farmer can be a genius.

Why are we taking away the choice from people who may want to be a genius in their own way?

If you ask me, teenagers are pressured into college. They do not have a choice of their own.

So let's give them a choice.